Chapter 39 - A Pact with the Dragon

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, I believe I've been transported into this world after dying," I explain, waiting for his answer.

"Ah, let me explain. Your soul left your body, but you didn't actually die in your world," Keilbuss clarifies, still smiling.

"What?! How does that make sense? My soul can't just travel through space and time and end up here. I'm sure I died in my previous world, but I'm not sure how," I say, feeling confused.

"It's hard for me to explain, but I'm telling you the truth: you're not dead in your real world," he says.

"Then explain why I'm here if I'm not dead in my real world!" I protest.

"If you tell me I was summoned by the owner of this body, then I'm probably dead in my real world because a body without a soul is bound to die!" I argue.

"But you're here and your body is still alive," he counters.

(This doesn't make sense at all! Why is my body still alive in my real world when I'm here!?)

"Your soul is exactly the same as the real owner's. I don't know how or why, but you two have completely opposite characters," he explains further.

"Your body isn't dead in your real world. Someone else is also borrowing your body, and they're doing the same thing as you're doing right now: living and continuing," he concludes.

(What!?)

"Wait! Hold on!" I interject, feeling overwhelmed by the revelations.

"So you're saying I'm here just fine, but my body in my real world is also fine? Someone is pretending to be me in my real world?" I ask, seeking clarification. Keilbuss smiles and nods.

"You two have swapped lives. Can't you see the mark on your wrist? It's a sign of a contract between both souls," he explains, and my eyes widen as I notice the butterfly mark on my wrist.

"This... is a sign of a contract?" I exclaim, astonished, and he nods.

"Yes, you two have exchanged places," he confirms.

"But I don't remember anything! I don't remember signing a contract at all," I protest.

"What was the last thing you remember in your previous world?" he inquires.

"I don't know... I just went to sleep after crying, that's all I can remember," I reply.

"Let me see the mark on your wrist," he requests, and I show it to him.

"Ah, a butterfly," he remarks with a smile.

"You know, here in this world, a butterfly symbolizes rebirth or resurrection," he explains.

"But at the same time, it could also be used as a symbol of two souls having a contract, whether to exchange lives or something else," he adds.

"But I don't remember signing a contract with someone else!" I protest.

"Well, I can't explain that, but what I've just told you is true. You signed a contract, and you both exchanged lives. That's why you're here," he confirms.

"And that's why I mentioned that your body isn't dead yet, because someone else is living in it too," he continues.

"Is it the owner of this body?" I inquire.

"Yeah, fortunately, she managed to escape after her death. If she hadn't, she wouldn't have been able to make a contract with you," Keilbuss says, seated atop a rock.

(So the owner of this body and I exchanged lives by making a contract that I don't even remember?)

"Anyway, why are you seeking the mighty dragon, me? Do you have some business with me?" he asks, peering at me.

"Um, can you be my friend?" I blurt out, feeling a bit awkward. He raises an eyebrow.

"And why would you want that?" he questions.

(He should already know why...)

"Why? Do I need a reason for wanting you to be my friend?" I retort.

"Of course. Many humans try to deceive someone like me, especially that pink-haired girl who visited me three days ago." He says

"What was her name again? Well, it doesn't matter, she was quite annoying," he explains.

(He's annoyed by the female lead?)

(But he once became her companion though...)

(But my sister didn't write how the female lead managed to get the mighty dragon.)

(It jumps straight from a scene where she successfully has the mighty dragon by her side.)

"Now, state your real business with me," he demands.

"I want you to be on my side," I declare, and he simply stares at me before laughing.

"And why is that?" he questions.

"Just because," I reply

"Are you planning to use me to destroy this place? You can just say so; you don't have to ask me to become your puppet," he accuses.

"I'm not asking you to become my puppet; I'm asking you to be on my side," I clarify.

"Why? Is there a war about to break out? Is that why you need me?" he questions.

"Not exactly like that," I reply.

"Then what?" he presses.

"I... I want the mighty dragon to protect my family from the foolish prince of this empire," I admit. He raises his eyebrows and bursts into laughter again.

"Oh, you're quite amusing..." he chuckles, while I maintain a serious expression.

(Did I say something amusing?)

"Did you just... call the prince of the Lazourel Empire 'stupid'?" he questions incredulously.

"And a dumb ass, indeed," I affirm, and he laughs again.

"You're quite bold, young girl," he comments with a smile.

"I admire the audacity you possess. It's refreshing," he adds.

"Calling a member of the royal family 'stupid' and a 'dumb ass'? I've never heard someone speak so bluntly about someone of high power and authority in front of me before," he remarks, his expression serious.

"The prince of this empire is skilled in negotiating with other countries. He has the potential to be the next king, but his character is the issue. He has a penchant for women," he explains.

"Well, he's a prince; he can have hundreds of wives in his palace," I remark, and the mighty dragon nods in agreement.

"And I quite admire your boldness in calling a member of royalty 'stupid.' Alright, you have me," he says.

"Have me for what?" I inquire.

"My trust. You've earned it now," he clarifies.

"Make a contract with me first. I don't like people who back down," I insist, crossing my arms. He chuckles.

"Come here. I'll make a contract with you now," he offers, and I step closer to him.
.
.
.
.🦋