A Bright Day

"Get up!" Someone yelled in my ear. I groaned and rolled toward the other side of the bed to find it empty and missing the warmth that was usually there.

"Sunny, get up. We have work to do!" The voice sounded like Natalie, but I really couldn't care. I wanted to get some more sleep.

"Fine, I'll go tell Sam that the day we have been planning for months isn't going to happen because you just want to sleep." She said and I rolled back over.

"What are you talking about?" My voice sounded awful to my ears.

"Wow, you really did drink too much last night." Natalie said and handed me a glass of water.

"It's your wedding day, Sunny." She said with a big smile and I was immediately wide awake, a smile growing on my face.

"There we go." She said and I quickly down the water and stood up.

"Go shower and get some under garments on. The others and I will be at the table waiting for you." Natalie said and I smiled before going into the bathroom. I caught a glance of my face in the mirror and cringed. Natalie had insisted on throwing me a bachelorette party. She had brought a couple bottles of wine that we cracked open. There were some dark marks under my eyes, but nothing major. It could easily be covered up with a little makeup. I showered quickly and got some underwear, a bra and a robe on before walking out to the kitchen.

Emily, Kim, Allison and Natalie pushed me down into one of the chairs and started on my hair and makeup. Kim began pulling my hair up to do a twist at the back of my head, Natalie was doing my makeup, Allison was doing my fingernails, and Emily was painting my toe nails. The garment bag with my dress was draped over the back of a chair on the other side of the table, I was so excited to finally get to wear it. When Natalie finished my makeup she held up a small mirror for me to look into, my eyes where dusted a pale yellow, my lips a light pink, she had covered the faint dark marks under my eyes, and the rest of my face was dusted lightly in concealer. We had talked about my makeup the day before and if I wanted to try and hide the scars, I had told them no. The scars were part of who I am now, part of the me that Sam is marrying, the symbolize how much we went through to get where we are.

Emily and Natalie gently helped me into my dress before Allison gently tied the yellow sash around me waist. The dress was gorgeous and I loved being in it. The beaded halter top have the dress enough sparkle to not be plain, but was simple enough to still be modest. The yellow sash looked great with a small broach of a wolf at my waist where the chiffon flowed from there till my knees. My pack anklet from Sam was clasped around my ankle and the ring glimmer on my finger. My hair looked elegant in the twist with my bangs brushed off to the sides. I had a small veil that Kim had placed in the twist. Unlike my sister I looked like me instead of what others wanted to look like. I smiled at my reflection before turning and hugging Natalie, Allison, Kim and Emily.

"Thank you. You've made today perfect." I could feel tears in my eyes and Emily quickly got me some tissues. I dabbed under my eyes and smiled at them.

"If we're going to be there on time, we better get going." Allison said as she looked down at her watch. Natalie handed me my shoes while Kim held my small bouquet of daffodils. The shoes were simple, they were light yellow ballet shoes, but they had a small heel.

"I'm so proud that I'll be able to call you my daughter." Allison said as she stared at me and I smiled at her and gave her a hug.

"I'm glad I'll be able to call you, mom. I haven't had one in a long time." I said and she tightened her hug for a second and pulled away to dab her eyes.

We walked out to Natalie's car for her to drive us over to the cliffs. Sam and my bags were already packed and in the back of Sam's truck for tonight when we would leave for Seattle. He had stayed the night at Allison's per her request that we still follow the tradition of the groom not seeing the bride the day before the wedding. I was a quiet ride, but we were all smiling as the radio played. Dad was waiting for us in the beach parking lot. He looked spiffy in his dark grey with his yellow tie and the daffodil pin to the chest of the jacket. He smiled when he saw us pull in. He helped me out of the car and pulled me into a tight hug. When he pulled away I could see the tears he was fighting back in his eyes.