chapter one

Mateo Chavez sighed as he entered the party that was currently being thrown at a random's house

Mateo Chavez sighed as he entered the party that was currently being thrown at a random's house. It was the beginning of his last year of college and he was more than ready to graduate. He'd been forced to come out by his 2 best friends Rashir Martin and Nico Perez who were both seniors as well. Nico had heard about the party through someone on the basketball team, so he quite literally forced the two to come out with him.

Move in day was at the beginning of the week, which meant that it was officially welcoming week for all of the incoming freshman at University of Maryland. This mean't that there were parties every night for the past week, but Mateo didn't wish to attend any of them.

Mateo was pretty popular, as well as Nico and Rashir, but he didn't really care for popularity. He was mostly known as a 'brooding' and rude individual, but that didn't bother him. He didn't see the need in acting friendly with people he didn't fuck with, and he found it pointless. He was fine with his 2 best friends, and that was all he needed. He was aware of his reputation, and he was also aware of the rumors that floated around with his name attached to them. He never attempted to clear them up, he just simply didn't care.

"Nigga it's lit!" Nico danced as he entered the house that was clouded with smoke while "Me or Sum" by Nardo Wick blared through the speakers at max volume. This party was definitely getting shut down within the next 2 hours considering the amount of people crowding the house and the volume of the music, but Mateo didn't plan to stick around that long anyways.

Mateo shook his head as he followed Nico and Rashir while they trekked through the house to find the kitchen, where the liquor would reside. Rashir dabbed a couple people up as they walked while Mateo simply held a mug on his face, not in the mood to touch, or talk to people.

They made their way to their kitchen where Nico immediately found a bottle of Hennessy and poured himself a little.

"You drinkin' Matt?" Nico asked but Mateo shook his head, giving him a look.

"I drove tonight stupid," He replied, reaching for a water bottle instead.

"Aight nigga damn, you need some pussy. You been in yo' feelings all week," Nico said as he poured Rashir his cup.

"Shut up, I ain't even wanna be here, but y'all forced me to drive when I could be at home, sleeping," Mateo snapped, pulling out his phone and checking the time. It was 10 right now, so he told himself he'd give it an hour before he gathered them to head home. The boys all lived together in a house about 20 minutes from campus, hence why Mateo drove them tonight.

"Quit bein' a bitch and go dance wit' someone or sumn," Rashir nudged him in the direction of the living room but Mateo just mugged him. He didn't mean to be a party pooper but he was just tired and wanted to retire to his bed for the night. His social battery had already run out and they hadn't even been there for 10 minutes.

Whoever was controlling the music changed the song to 'Weirdo Hoes' by Durk which had the whole house yelling the lyrics and Mateo hummed along, surveying his surroundings. It was pretty packed and the house was definitely at capacity. He took another swig of his water bottle and pulled out his phone again, texting back his mother who was asking if he was still coming for breakfast tomorrow and he replied letting her know he was still coming.