Chapter 16 | Split up

Start from the beginning

Carl was putting the food behind the counter down while I put it into the bag. "Kitchen wasn't empty after all, my haul. You?" Rick shows us his bag, mine and Carl's had a considerable amount of pickle jars and food.

"We win." I spoke.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

We had carried on walking when we came across another house this time it was a big family house. "Hey, that one's as good as any." Rick said basically saying let's go in the house.

We busted in again with my gun infront of me. I walked straight ahead with Rick, Carl broke off to the left. What was he doing. "Carl." Rick warned. "There's some doors open here." Carl explained still searching his area.

"CARL STOP!" Rick ordered. I watched as Carl stopped then hit the wall saying "Hey, Asshole. Hey shit face! Hey ass." He was shouting why the hell was he being such a prick.

"Watch your mouth!" Rick started. "Are you kidding me? If there's one of them down there they would've come out." It was kind of awkward, like when you were younger and you were at your friends house and their mum starts shouting at them. It felt like that.

We all walked off somewhere in the house. I went into a living room. There was cracked photo frames on the floor and a huge couch that had been moved. Overall this room was empty. Living room check.

I went upstairs into a room. The walls were a beautiful baby pink colour and there was a small bed. A little girl lived here she must've only been about 5 maybe 6. The thought of a young child just made me think of Judith.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Carl had tied a wire to keep the front door shut, quite smart to be fair. Rick started pushing the couch to block the door.

"I tied the door shut." Carl informed his dad I already started walking to the bag on the floor knowing full well this will start an argument. Carl said something about Shane, who I had met at the farm once before. Rick started talking back, I grabbed the couch and started to try to push it to the door. It moved a little.

Carl stopped arguing and grabbed the couch down the other side and pulled it to the door. Then turning it around so it's now sitting the right way up. "This'll do for the night." Rick said sitting down on the couch. I grab the bag and ask "what should we do with the food?"

"We should eat." Rick instructs.

"We should save it." Carl says.

I just sit there why are they both being such dicks. "Eat it, you'll need the energy." Rick says to me then he gets up. Throw's the food at Carl and says eat then walks upstairs to the bathroom.

I take the packet off Carl and sit down on the couch. I open it and start eating. "We should've saved it." Carl said sitting next to me.

"Go away I was hungry, you can't tell me you aren't hungry." I replied still eating. "No I'm not." Carl then turned his head and sat on the bed on the floor. I also had one on the floor we agreed that Rick should get the couch as he was injured.

I finished eating my food and did the same whispering "goodnight Carl." Even though he was being a bad mood baby right now. I went to bed thinking about daddy and my sisters praying they were ok.

"Night y/n." Carl whispered back. Making me smile.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I woke up and rubbed my eyes adjusting to the light outside. I forced myself up looking around Rick was still asleep and Carl was gone.

I sat there for a little while until I heard walking upstairs. I picked up my gun and stood by the stairs ready to shoot, Carl ran hopping down the stairs with a bowl in his hand.

"Don't do that you scared me." I said watching him put the bowl on the side. "Sorry, is my dad still not awake?" Carl asked walking over to him. "No I guess not."

"Rick?" I murmured lightly hitting his foot. He didn't wake up. Carl just looked at me and leaned in to his dad "dad, wake up." He started getting mad "dad," he started aggressively shaking his dad "come on."

"WAKE UP." He repeated over and over was still shaking him violently. The door starts rattling from where the walkers were trying to get in. "Carl." I warned pulling on his checkered top and pointing at the door.

I got my gun out and walked down the back door steps with Carl infront of me. We moved over to see the front door to see only two banging on the door. We stood in front "hey, you. Fresh meat right here come and get it." Carl shouted. What the hell was he doing.

"What are you doing?" I mumble now getting my gun out and walking backward. "Trust me." Carl replied walking away from the walkers who were walking towards us. The thing was I did trust him.

"Keep coming," Carl says now walking onto the street the house was on. We walking away from the house and into the woods. I was walking backwards when something grabbed my shoulder...