Their parents were slightly confused but accepted their new daughter with open arms. Together, the family learned what it meant to be transgender and found resources and support for Camila to help her transition. And after Camila began meeting other transgender youth and other members of the LGBTQ+ community, the Martinez house became a safe haven for those kids.

Camila decided to pursue a career as a veterinarian and attend a local university, where she met her best friend, Alondra Santiago. Alondra was from Puerto Rico and had no family in the area, so Camila helped her adjust to the culture shock. The two graduated with honours and worked at the same animal clinic after graduation.

Years after graduation, Alondra announced to Camila that she was pregnant. Camila was ecstatic for her friend and promised to be there for anything she needed. But no one could have predicted what would be discovered during Alondra's second trimester. An ultrasound revealed that the lower half of the baby's legs didn't develop, and further tests showed that it was a genetic condition that caused the birth defect.

Alondra's boyfriend told her to abort the baby, not wanting a disabled child. But she refused, so he left, abandoning her and the baby. Camila immediately had her friend move into her apartment and told her to stay as long as needed. She helped Alondra through the rest of her pregnancy and held her hand when Milagros was born, and even got to cut the baby's umbilical cord.

But three years later, tragedy strikes. Alondra was killed during a bank robbery while protecting a child. Camila and Milagros had been home when a police officer arrived to give them the news. Milagros couldn't understand why her mother wasn't coming home, and Camila tried to stay strong through her grief for the little girl.

After the funeral and Alondra's body being put to rest, Camila was contacted by Alondra's lawyer about her Will. The lawyer informed Camila that Alondra had declared her Milagros's legal guardian should anything happen to her. Camila was surprised, but she never had any intention of abandoning the girl and immediately began the adoption process.

Camila's relatives supported her and welcomed Milagros into their family. The girl was showered in love by everyone, and while she misses her mommy, she's happy to have Auntie Camila and her new family. She loves spending time with her grandparents (Camila and Alondra's parents) and listening to Auntie Carmen's stories of her overseas adventures.

A few months before Death Below Zero, Camila was approached about a job opportunity in Antarctica. It was to assist in researching the effect of climate change on wildlife and the global repercussions. With the encouragement of her family, Camila and Milagros moved to the South Pole, the latter very excited to be living so close to penguins. The two enjoy living at the South Pole but look forward to returning to Baltimore and telling their family and friends about their freezing adventures.

When the Bureau arrived for their vacation, Camila was excited to see her sister again. She was even more excited to meet the nephew she had heard so much about. Milagros was the same; she'd missed her aunt and was excited to have a new friend to play with. She couldn't wait to introduce Sanjay to her penguin friends.

After Emil Gunnarsson's murder had been solved, Camila offered to take Carmen and her team on a penguin-watching tour. Once Jonah had repaired the truck's generator, Camila took the Bureau to the local penguin reserve, where Milagros introduced everyone to her penguin friends. She introduced them all by name, and the Bureau found it adorable to watch the little girl teach them about penguins. Camila was so proud of her daughter and knew Alondra would be too.

Once the Bureau's visit ended, Camila and Milagros watched Elijah Young's plane fly away, carrying the team towards their new adventure. Carmen promised to call when they reached the mainland, and Camila looked forward to hearing about the Bureau's future adventure. Milagros asked Camen and Sanjay to send them pictures and pick up souvenirs wherever they went, and they promised to do so for the little girl.

Near the end of The Darkest Hour, Camila and Milagros returned to celebrate the defeat of SOMBRA alongside the rest of the Bureau's family and friends.

Story Information

First appeared: Death Below Zero

Trivia

* Inspiration for her came from Camila Noceda from The Owl House

* She likes to style her afro into different shapes and even temporarily dyes it for added fun

     * Milagros is her secondary stylist. The girl loves coming up with new looks for her aunt's hair and having her hair styled in return

     * Sometimes Camila and Milagros do matching hairstyles

* She used to go on trips to help endangered wildlife. She had to stop after she adopted Milagros

     * She still works with a non-profit organization that rescues animals from abusive homes and animal fights

* She's always fostering a rescued animal in her house until they find a forever home. She'll foster any animals, from cats and dogs to reptiles and birds. She's temporarily put this on hold while in Antarctica but plans to restart it when she and Milagros returns to Baltimore

* Camila always looked up to her big sister. Likewise, Carmen has always protected her sister growing up, beating up any bullies that made fun of Camila or hurt her

     * When Camila announced she was a girl, Carmen immediately gave her all her old clothes so that her little sister would enjoy the clothes she wore

     * Her favourite memory with Camila is when her sister wore a dress for the first time. Camila couldn't stop twirling and was smiling so brightly it was like looking at the sun. Carmen still has the picture she took to commemorate the moment 

A/N: I wasn't planning to make one, but would you like to see a profile for Milagros? I plan to make Anna's next, but I can do one for Mila if there's enough interest!