Chapter 10: From The Outside

Start from the beginning

That man, Uriel as Emilia had introduced him as, liked to keep his distance and Sera understood him completely. If Huxley wasn't her childhood friend and her sister's future husband, she too would have kept to herself. She knew prior to her win, Huxley and Clarisse almost never stayed in their spacious home in the village. The two preferred to stay at her house, keeping their family company. Clarisse had confessed once that though the house was nice, it was empty and the emptiness had scared her. She didn't quite understand her back then but now that she was in Huxley's position, she finally got what she meant. The emptiness was a little frightening.

It didn't help that her neighbors were so distant. Her new neighbors were welcoming enough but a single look at them and Sera could tell why they preferred to be alone. Most of them were alone. They had no family or friends left and those that did like Estelle and Huxley, preferred the company of family and friends over their fellow victors. However, Porter did try to be welcoming to Sera and her family but Huxley sent her back along with her pumpkin pie that she most likely didn't bake, no doubt it was a product of the Mandel's bakery in Foxhalo.

Sera didn't know why her mentor and childhood friend didn't get along with his own mentor but she trusted his judgment and kept her guard over Porter. There had to be a reason, even if she didn't know it yet. She simply had to trust Huxley. After all, he brought her this far and without his aid, she'd have less luck returning back home.

She checked the clock on the wall again and let out a sigh. Nox would be finished soon. His school day was going to end in an hour. She needed to pick him up since she was the only one available. She was home alone as everyone in her family was busy. Her siblings were at work, Talissa had become even busier than ever since she finished her apprenticeship while her brother, Ramiel was being worked to the bone. It was no surprise there, it was winter, the season when the plants in District 5 were in capacity, working hard to keep the lights on around Panem but most importantly the Capitol and District 1.

Aunt Dahlia was also out, busy at the shop. Her health had improved a little with Sera's return but that was only temporary. Her hair had started to become lighter and thinner with white patches on the sides of her scalp while her eyes had started to become more glazed and foggy. Her vision had dulled a little as a result. She also complained to Sera about backaches that she knew her aunt didn't have before. Her mind was also deteriorating. She tried to be optimistic for her aunt but she was afraid.

It didn't help that her fears were accounted for.

Two nights ago, Sera came home late after closing the shop with Talissa. Ramiel and Nox were already in bed but Talissa had left to meet with Huxley for a moment. Sera had decided to go to bed after cleaning up but before that she wanted to check on her aunt. She expected her aunt to be in bed, sleeping. Her aunt was not sleeping.

Instead, aunt Dahlia sat up straight in the middle of her bed with curtains wide open. Her windows were also open and remnants of a crushed bouquet that she may have been working on were strewn across the floor.

Orange blossoms, petunias, pink camellias, purple hyacinths and pink carnations.

At first, she thought nothing of it and decided to tidy up the untouched and unmarred flowers. It wasn't until she had gathered all the petunias and hyacinths with the camellias and carnations still on the floor, did she realize what her aunt was attempting. She hurriedly picked up the remaining flowers and placed them on the florist bench nearby. She surveyed the flowers on her own.

Fairly ordinary flowers. Pretty flowers that had been prepped ahead of time to become a part of something even more beautiful. Yet the flowers meant something.

Orange blossoms. Eternal Love.

Pink camellias. Longing For You.

Another fairly normal meaning.