5 || What Once Was Lost

Centaurs and Firbolgs gallivanted across wide plains of meadow and greenery, giggling as the summer showers rained down on them. Nymphs frolicking on the sparkling river waters. Dryads playing their lutes and flutes among treefolks in refreshing springs.

Suddenly, a wave of shadow from the north bathe the sun in ominous purple sheen.

The world was no more.

No more laughter of pixies. No more splashing of Nymphs and sprites. No more joyous music of the dryads.

Armies of pointed ear elves march from the horizon. They were joined with the humans lead by a warrior whose armor shone amidst the purple rays of a darkened sun. A crown sat atop her head. But she was no princess this day.

A dragon dark as the void soared overhead and landed in front of the warrior. He roared ever so loudly, shaking the earth beneath their feet.

A golden crown was shattered on the ground, bits and pieces flew astray.

A woman leaned in closer with a promise. Of hope—that the world might be renewed.

“Join me, and together we will protect this land,” a voice whispered. Light as dandelions and warm like the summer sun.

»»————- ➴ ————-««

Serafina woke up from a cycle of nightmares and dreams. Massive puffs of steam and vapor obscured her view from where she was. With a quick glance to her sides, she realized she was surrounded in ice. But the cold simply caressed her.

Without much of a thought, she stepped outside this alcove of ice she was encased in.

Two creatures greeted her. They were on top of each other. Was this a terrible timing?

The younger one, she assumed, pushed the Aarakocra aside and stood up.

“And who might you be?” Sera asked. It came out way more condescending than she initially thought. Her pride dictated not to take it back.

“I-I am Flutter Marivaldi of the Faith Monastery. Now a member of the hunter’s guild. And this is—”

“I am Syran Roseshade of the ugh, Cloud Tribe. Also, a member of the hunter’s guild.”

She tilted her head to one side as her moss green brows creased in confusion. Faith Monastery? Hunter’s Guild? These were unfamiliar organizations to her. Did the humans finally progress while she was in ice?

“Well, nice to meet you, Syran and Flutter. I am… I am…”

Wait, who am I?

Her own name slipped from memories. Flashes came flooding her mind in quick succession, like snippets of short instances in her life. From childhood, to her teenage years, and until who she was now—every instance her name was mentioned was like a playback in her memories.

Good morning, Serafina.

Serafina darling, what are you doing?

Mr. and Mrs. Lethem you are found guilty…

I am right behind you, Serafina honey.