Epilogue

"I'm Home!" Andy called as he walked through the door, loosening his tie as he did so. 

"Da-deeeee." 

The little voice always made him smile as Cora toddled out of the kitchen with her arms already stretched out wanting him to pick her up. 

It was the after work ritual that he enjoyed the most. He'd call out to let both her and Gen know he was home and she'd be in the hallway walking for him to pick her up for a cuddle. After a hard day, he always welcomed a Cora cuddle, even more so now that he could call her his own. 

putting his briefcase down he got down on one knee and held out his arms as she toddled right into them. She'd only been walking for a few months, but was getting quicker on her feet. "I've missed you, you miss me?" He asked as he got to his feet, picking her up. "Where's mommy?" 

Gen was in the kitchen, clattering about making dinner but turned with a grin on seeing him. "I swear she heard you before you even opened the door." She laughed as he gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Did court overrun?" She asked. He was a little later than normal, but if it was a big case that he was needed in the office for then it could sometimes happen. 

"Yeah, but we got there in the end." He said, pulling his tie off and undoing the top button of his shirt. "No more late nights for a while hopefully." 

She kissed him gently. "I can't wait until we can get away for a couple of weeks and have you all to myself." They were heading to the Maldives for a well earned break. Andy had been working non stop, and now Gen was fully back at work they simply wanted to leave Newburyport and escape prying eyes. 

"Two more days." He grinned and put Cora down. "I'm gonna go and change." 

"Dinner will be in about ten." 

Andy nodded and headed upstairs, closing the bedroom door and retrieving the box that had been weighing heavy in his pocket for the last hour, opening it with a smile. He had been blessed with another family, and was going to make damn well sure that he cemented this. Cora had his last name. It was written in ink. 

But Gen? Well it wouldn't be a completed family without them each ending in the last name of  Barber. 

They had to be complete. 

He was going to ask this woman to marry him. 

And he was going to ask her tonight.

The End