-10-

The next couple of weeks seemed to pass by Andy rather quickly, and soon it was early Friday afternoon. He was currently sat at his desk and seemed to have read the same sentence in his notes at least five times over.

He just couldn't concentrate, and it was beginning to irritate him.

The previous afternoon had seen Dr Dyers have him speak about what happened just after Jacob's death. How he'd coped planning two funerals – the sessions were becoming heavier, and Andy could tell that they'd touch upon the subject of his drinking soon enough.

In all honesty, he didn't want to go there. The first few months after Jake had died had been his darkest period, with him even contemplating giving it all up. But every time he looked at the picture of his son smiling broadly back at him, he knew he couldn't ever do it.

Andy had briefly discussed it with Genevieve when he'd had dinner with her last night, and she'd been horrified that he'd even thought about taking desperate measures. Even her words couldn't really shake him from the headspace he'd walked out of the therapists office in.

Closing the door to his own office he inhaled deeply as he sat back down, massaging the bridge of his nose, and then opening the pictures on his phone. The first one that popped up made him smile. It was of Jacob and him that his son had taken when they'd gone fishing. A rare day where they could just relax and forget about the madness that was the murder trial.

He kept scrolling, coming to the most recent ones he'd taken. There were only a few but mostly they were of Cora that Gen had sent to him over Whatsapp. The last was taken just the other weekend at the park again, a selfie of the three of them sat under the tree. Cora in between them both.

Placing the phone to his ear, he waited, hearing Gen pick up. "Hey..." he said weakly.

"Andy...everything ok?" She asked, "I thought you were in court today?"

Somehow he couldn't remember telling her that, yet she was absolutely right. Gen seemed to know his schedule better than anyone else. "Earlier this morning. Got back around midday and now sat here re-reading the same sentence over and over."

"Is it a heavy one?"

"I don't know, but I've been clock watching for the last hour. May take an early lunch" He sighed.

Gen's warm tone instantly made him feel better. "How about I come meet you with Cora, it sounds like another baby cuddle day."

"You're damn right it is. May have to steal her so she can help me de-stress while I finish these papers."

She laughed. "Oh god, she's all yours. I'll meet you at the café?" Suggesting the usual place where he got his morning coffee on his way to the DA's office.

"Sounds good to me." 

"Grab my usual if I'm not there before you and I'll get the food."

"See you soon." He rung off realising that he was smiling.

Grabbing his keys and locking the office door, he let the secretary know that if anyone needed him then he was on his cell, before making for the parking lot. This was a well needed lunch break and hopefully afterwards he could return to his desk with a clear mind.

Andy got Gen's usual choice of a latte and sat himself down, waiting for her. It was no surprise that he'd be there before her, it was a juggle to get out of the door on time with Cora. It was only ten minutes before she appeared, and he made a space for her to put the pram next to the table.

"Wow, she's certainly awake." he peered into the pram where Cora started waving her arms and legs at him, the gummy smile making him forget all the stresses he had.