𝐈𝐕 - insecurities

𝗬/𝗡 𝗣.𝗢.𝗩.

"Don't take another step. Don't talk to me if you value your freaking life."

"Right, about that —"

"I said, 'Don't talk to me if you value your freaking life."

Euploea bit her lip, glancing back to Exton, who was leaning against a tree and nervously peeking at you every three seconds. "Y/N..."

"Leave this place." Your voice strained a bit as you carved into the chunk of wood you had found a little too aggressively, resulting in the head of the Inaie you had spent a few hours carving to nearly fall off.

The Waywards were in their sessions, and everything was quieter than it was before. Tam and Linh were in your tent, and you didn't know how to feel anymore.

You couldn't feel — that was a problem, and you could not figure out what was happening in your head.

Tam said a ghost of a lion-like creature with wings had floated out of your eyes when you were sleeping, and that was why he had screamed, but that really wasn't a lot to go off of.

You should've felt embarrassed, maybe, but then again, you didn't really know how to feel that way, so you were left with an unconstructed empty void of emotions you should've felt, and therefore not allowing you to calm down.

It was harder than it sounds to bear over.

And Euploea could tell. It was the first time in quite a while that you hadn't nagged her about the whole "Fritillary " situation, and that was not a good sign.

So she slowly retreated, a stick snapping under her foot as she ran over to Exton to join him in staring at you cautiously from a distance.

You didn't even spare her the tiniest bit of your attention, since you had much more important matters to ponder over.

First of all, did this happen every night that Inaie left your dreams?

Nobody would know, after all, you had slept alone in your tent until the twins had you baffled, and so no one would know whether it happened when the Inaie left your dreams, since no one knew you were dreaming about it at all.

And when it left your dreams, it always melted into ashes with a small red flag waving above the pile, and that really was the last thing you remembered seeing before Tam woke you up.

If the ashes were the remnants, and the ghost of Inaie floated out of your eyes, then did that mean that...

It was real?

The three of you sat there all morning, not communicating at all, or, at least you weren't. Exton and Euploea had little whispering sessions here and there, but you couldn't quite hear them, but it was probably better you couldn't.

It might have triggered more undeveloped feelings, and that would never end well.

By the time you finally managed to get a grip over yourself (though none of your questions were answered), the sun was hung right in the middle of the sky, beating down on your back without you even realizing how warm it had gotten.

Lunchtime had rolled around, and the coaches were setting up the little baskets of fruits that the Waywards were accustomed to, all of them, except the twins you were supposed to be training.

You slowly stood up, peering over at the now empty spot under the tree where your friends were sitting a while earlier, and sighed.

What a great coach you were.