fifteen

Naturally, we decide to go back to Rafe and Sarah's house to hang out, just like we always do.

We all pile into Sarah's room. Some of us sit on her couch, some of us on her bed, and the rest of us on the floor. We're all talking and laughing up a storm. Though, our fun gets cut short when we hear someone throwing up in the bathroom a few doors down.

"Oh jeez," Sarah says, rubbing the bridge of her nose. "I'll be right back guys." She runs down to the bathroom, probably to find an intoxicated Wheezie.

Tess laughs. "I guess the alcohol is catching up with Wheezie, isn't it?"

Rafe scoffs. "Serves her right."

I nod my head agreeing.

"RAFE!" I hear Ward yell from downstairs.

We can turn to Rafe, seeing that his eyes have widened. "Fuck," he mutters under his breath. "Uh- I'll be right back."

"Is everything okay?" I ask, grabbing his arm as he walks by.

He weakly smiles. "What? Yeah."

That's all he says.

When I turn my head back, I see Tess and Kelce both sitting on Sarah's bed, whispering in each other's ears. They keep giggling and touching each other gingerly.

I grimace. 

Topper cringes, looking at the couple. "Guys if you're gonna-"

Kelce whispers something into Tess's ear and looks back at Topper while Tess laughs flirtatiously. "Hey, I think we're gonna head-" he starts.

Tess stands up and grabs his hand, pulling him towards her. "Bye!"

Before we know it, they're holding hands and running out of the room. I can hear them scramble down the stairs and shut the door downstairs loudly.

Topper and I exchange awkward glances.

"What the hell was that?" he asks, looking at me with wide eyes.

I laugh. "I don't know if I wanna know."

Suddenly, the smile on my face disappears- It's Rafe and Ward downstairs. I can hear them yelling at each other from all the way up here.

I stand up and start to walk to the door.

"Hey- Y/n stop-" Topper grimances.

I ignore him and close the door behind me.

I'm making my way down the stairs, the yelling gets louder and louder as the time slowly passes.

"I just don't feel like you care enough, and this shows me!" Ward yells.

I'm now standing in the hallway, towards the wall. I can't see onto the deck fully, but I can see Rafe sitting down in a patio chair, glass doors wide open.

Rafe sighs. "No, I say I care, and I do!"

"Yeah, you say it!"

"I did- I do! What more do you want me to say?"

Ward scoffs. "I don't want you to say anything! I want you to take care of business!"

Rafe rolls his tongue in his mouth, his signature move.

"Rafe, I gave you money for the backup generators. You said you would take care of it. Did you take care of it? Where are they?" Ward yells. I can see him pointing his finger in Rafe's face.

Rafe looks at the ground, scratching the side of his nose before looking up at Ward sheepishly again. "They're on backorder," Rafe almost whispers.

Ward weakly laughs. "Yeah, of course they are."