chapter four

we were seven instead of six on that mid july's lunch

my parents, sitting in front of elio's parents, elio, sitting just beside me, and oliver.

oliver  was a blonde haired american who had appeared out of nowhere some days ago, and who was staying with us for a couple of days to finish writing his novel with samuel's help.

it really made no sense to me that he needed anybody's help since he seemed to know everything, and he always talked with fancy words and expressions that no one understood, but everyone acted like they did.

his personality made me nervous. always acting so chill, so careless, like nothing was good enough for him.

he was so confident of himself, and god, you couldn't even start to imagine how flirtatious he was.

all of the girls looked at him when he played tennis with the other guys, and started laughing nervously when he smiled at them. even marzia had done so.

everybody wanted to dance with him at the parties, but chiara was the only girl who had completely succeeded at it. he knew how magnetic he was for the italian girls, so he took advantage of it.

he was very charming, but i was never gonna fall for a guy seven years older than me.

he sometimes looked at me on dinner or lunch and smiled like he did to chiara, but i never returned it. sometimes i even rolled my eyes when he talked, but i don't think he ever noticed. too focused on himself to do so.

yeah, i found him to be very annoying.

oliver  was finishing his third apricot juice glass of the day, and he was now talking to anella with that charming smile of him's.

at some point of the lunch, he got up from his chair and told us later!, like he always did when he was leaving for some hours.

what a jerk.

i looked over to elio, who had his eyes on oliver, as he finally disappear of our sight, and noticed our intertwined hands resting on his lap.

i caressed his palm softly to make him notice me, and as soon as i did, he looked over to me, changing his bored expression to a little smile.

he leaned to my forehead, and left a kiss there.

i could feel that his gesture hadn't gone unnoticed by anella, as she let her glaze go from the conversation and looked over to me, smiling.

she seemed to like me a lot, and she treated me like i was her daughter.

like elio, she gave me kisses and hugs, and she always made me feel so comfortable and understood. we had even became partners in our poetry reading, sharing thoughts, as she explained me what some of the words meant.