Chapter One: Remains Of The Past

June 1896, 3:15 p.m.

"You will never catch me!" The little boy screamed, laughing as his brother chased after him. Jimin tried to keep up, but Taehyung was just too fast.

"That's not fair, you have longer legs!"

The older giggled. "No, you're just too slow!"

His lungs were burning, yet he didn't want to stop. His brother was always so much better than him at everything! This time, however, he wanted to prove that he could be just as good in the race. Maybe then, Taehyung would stop teasing him.

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like luck was on his side. He somehow managed to always slip away from his touch. How frustrating! Jimin was so close.

He stumbled across the grass and reached out to touch Taehyung's back. This time, too, he failed to hit him. Discouraged, he slowed down his pace while Taehyung kept running. Unlike him, the boy seemed to have a great stamina- another thing Jimin was way behind on.

"O-okay, stop!" He finally surrendered, trying to catch his breath, "I.. give up."

"Aw, poor Minnie- can't even run for a few minutes," Taehyung laughed when he ran up to him. Jimin coughed and leaned forward, resting his hands on his knees as he shook his head in denial.

"I a-almost got you, Tae. I almost won."

"Of course," his older brother spoke, rolling his eyes, "See, that's why father takes me hunting and not you. You would only be eaten by the wild beasts."

Jimin's eyes widened. "That's not true. There are no monsters in the forest, you're just trying to scare me!"

"Even a bear is enough to scare you. It's a good thing you're not coming with us."

"I don't want to anyway," he stated, frowning, "I don't want to kill innocent animals. It's evil."

Taehyung snorted. "Father said the strongest animals eat the little ones. Like a lion and a lamb. I'm the lion, and you're the weak, stupid lamb," he laughed, pointing at him. Jimin stomped his feet on the ground.

"I'm not stupid!"

Then, they heard a noise in the background. Both turned around, only to find a little bird sitting on a tree and looking down at them. Jimin smiled at the way the little creature titled its head when they made eye contact. Those small eyes were adorable!

"A little bird.. Tae, look!"

The older grinned, reaching down to grab a stone. He looked at the bird, narrowing his eyes before throwing it towards its direction with a great force. Jimin gasped.

The little animal reacted immediately and barely escaped the hit, flying off into the distance. Taehyung started laughing hysterically.

"Why did you do that?! You could've hurt him!" Jimin yelled, pushing the taller.

"It's just a stupid bird!"

"So? You're stupid too!"

Taehyung giggled more, leaving Jimin to angrily walk away.

"Oh, are you going to cry?" Taehyung mocked, running after him. He grabbed his shoulder to turn him around.

"One day, I'll be a man. Father always tells me I'm going to become a strong and powerful leader. But you? You're just a lamb, Minnie."

Jimin managed to free himself from his grip and continued to walk inside the house, ignoring Taehyung's ugly laughter.

He really hated his brother.