7: Why Is It Always My Problem?

Start from the beginning

"You're coming down to the gym with me after dinner." His mom said offhandedly. Yuji looked over at her. 

"Why?" He asked slowly. She gave him a 'look'. Uh oh. 

"You haven't been in there for ages. You're going to get rusty." She said. It obviously wasn't the truth, but she wasn't going to budge on that. 

His ma put her hand over her mouth like she was sharing a secret and stage whispered 'good luck'. His mom kicked her under the table and laughter bubbled out of the teen. 

The little family finished up dinner and Yuji begrudgingly followed his mom down to the gym. She didn't bother turning most of the lights on so the ring she had chosen was basically just in a spotlight. 

Putting boxing gloves on was basically unfamiliar to Yuji at this point. He hadn't properly trained since becoming Ghost/Night Owl/whatever it was people called him these days. Typically he just wrapped his hands and hoped he didn't break a knuckle. 

He hadn't so far, so he had to be doing something right. 

His mom on the other hand was all too familiar with the feeling of the gloves on her hand. She was an interesting one. Raised in a family that valued tradition above all else in a small town that was obsessed with gender roles. They made the girls at the local high school take home economics for gods sake! That'd be fine if they made the boys do it too, but they had gym class instead. How fucked up was that. 

So she ditched the place at 18, became a boxer and met his ma. 

She was damn good at it too and although Yuji knew she'd never actually hurt him, fighting her was still nerve wracking. 

His mom dinged the bell twice in a way that seemed almost sarcastic and raised her fists in a fighting pose. Yuji did the same and they circled each other once. 

"I'm going to cut to the chase." She said, throwing a jab. Yuji dodged easily. He threw one of his own but she had just as easy a time moving out of the way. "Where the hell are you going when you sneak out of the house at night?". 

"You know about that?" He asked, genuinely surprised. His mom rolled her eyes and he tried to hit her again. She just moved his hand away with her own. 

"Where do you think you get your super hearing from? 'Cause it wasn't your ma." She said, throwing a straight. 

Yuji tried to strike back, half landing one hit and completely missing with the other. 

"You've gotten better." His mom commented before she tried to jab him again. Yuji dodged easily again. They had a pretty solid rhythm going now. 

"I miss you completely and you say I'm getting better?" Yuji asked incredulously. His mom smiled. 

"I meant the one you landed, but you can take it however you want kiddo." She said. "Anyways, where are you going off too?". 

"You know I'm not going to admit to anything." The teen said. His mom huffed out a sigh. 

"I knew you wouldn't." She admitted. "Are you at least being safe.". 

"Umm...maybe?". 

"Yuji!" 

"Okay, okay. Its perfectly safe." He groaned, "You don't have to worry.". 

"I don't know if I believe you." She said, wiping the building sweat from her forehead. "Do you have adult supervision at least?". 

Yuji's mind immediately went to Eraserhead. "Yes?". 

"A responsible adult?" She asked, going back on the attack. 

"More responsible than I would prefer." Yuji said honestly. His mom seemed to relax at that. 

He'd seen stuff like this in comic books and on tv before. Vigilantes feeling guilty after lying to their parents about where they've been. He didn't really feel guilty because his moms definitely already expected this of him. And he wasn't out drinking! That's like-5 times better than most of his friend's weekend plans already. 

------ --------- ------------ --------- ---------- ---------- ---------- 

Later on that night Yuji decided he wouldn't patrol today. He hadn't gotten any leads on the Nomu and Eraserhead was out of town so he couldn't spend a night stalking the pro hero, trying to get tips on how to, you know, 'hero'. 

Was hero a verb? It should be. 

Yuji was taken out of his thoughts by the sudden buzz of his phone. Sure it was in his bedroom and he was on the roof of the building, but he could still hear it. He climbed down and back through his window to grab it. 

On the screen was a dark photo. It was taken from one side of a window. 

But the inside of the window sent shivers down Yuji's spine. Nomu. So many Nomu. 

It was from a pretty shady connection he had made to a local retired yakuza. 

'Kamino's warehouse district, XX street.' The message read. Plain and simple. 

Well fuck. Guess Yuji was going to Kamino. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Yuji's hero outfit I wanted something more spiderman inspired, because of course that was some major inspiration for the character, but then I realized Yuji doesn't have a healing factor or super strength so he can't really be walking around without at least elbow pads and thick fabric that doesn't rip easily.

Basically he gets hurt to easily for a skin tight body suit 😭

I realized recently that he has the best pain tolerance out of all my OCs. Because he feels things more intensely, he deals with nearly 30 times the amount of pain from a wound that a normal person would and pushes past that. 

On the other hand Chiharu from Because has the worst pain tolerance because he's invulnerable. Its so hard for him to get hurt that when he does he doesn't really know what to do. 

To be fair, getting hurt when you have bulletproof skin is pretty hard in the first place, but it happens. 

Anyways stay tuned for Yuji cleaning up U.A's mess!