«chapter seventeen: meta-brawl»

Start from the beginning

"Cat, are you good to disconnect?" Barbara asks, trying to make this less confusing.

She was always going to cut me and my team off, seeing as my contacts can just send her video.

"Yeah," I answer her and I add, "Good luck, be careful." I aim to Dick, not feeling right about breaking the connection up before saying it.

"Umm..." Dustin gives me a weird look along with Artemis and Dinah.

"I mean," I say looking at Dustin, realizing me mistake, "With your door guarding. A place like this has to be a little dangerous," I cover lamely.

He smirks at that before he winks at me, "I like a little bit of danger." It takes everything in me not to burst his bubble, and smile instead. "I will meet you after the main event." He leans down closer to me, kissing my cheek before he leaves.

God, I am scrubbing that cheek clean later.

"Yeah, I would say he still likes you," Artemis mutters, watching him leave with an amused look on her face.

"Not a single word," I glare at her, knowing she is going to tease me with it for the rest of the night.

"You don't want a little danger?" She quips, causing me to groan.

"Artemis!"

"Fine, fine," She laughs.

Dinah joins in, causing me to glare at her too. "What? It is a little funny," She says, trying to cough to cover it up. "And you are back on the market."

"Whatever, let's just get this over with," I say bitterly and move into the main area.

It is impressive to say the least. Rows and rows of chairs and tables, tablets for your bidding, and champagne for your enjoyment.

A lot of people are here, dressed in fancy clothes.

Nightwing and I also let it run because it usually wasn't ever booming. Usually dangerous villains wouldn't lower themselves to something like street fighting, but with the blooming of new meta-humans, I am sure the leader of this little organization has her way of sweet talking people into a deal.

A match is going on right now, and I am surprised to see a few of the low list villains we used to fight. We.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts before I take a seat in a chair close to the exit. Artemis and Dinah follow my moves, looking back at the ring.

"So," Artemis says before she looks back to me. "what do we do now?" She asks.

"We watch," I mutter under my breath before I cross my legs, my eyes studying the fighters for any sign of them being forced.

_________________

I sigh and look to Dinah and Artemis. We have been here for two hours and the only people we have seen are known villains who wouldn't mind doing this sort of thing for free.

"We need to get backstage," I say and stand up, expecting them to follow me.

They do, but not long after we are away from crowds does Dinah pull me back and say, "I really don't think this is a good idea. I don't like the idea of you going in there."

"I'm going to be fine," I reassure her, "Besides, who said anything about me joining the ring? I am just going to slip past."

With that, I find a restroom that no one is in and we all start changing, slipping on our suits and masks.

We wait for everyone to pass before we slip out again and start heading backstage.

"I still don't get why Nightwing didn't want to help with this," Artemis says suddenly, making me nervous.