«chapter fifteen: bad ideas»

Start from the beginning

"Hey!" He glares, causing me to laugh.

"Sorry, I just had to," I get out between laughs.

It's only after I stop laughing that I realize his whole posture has changed. He is standing up straighter, making me wonder if I went to far before I follow his line of sight. He is looking at Lily, who is staring back at us from the living room.

"Damian," I put a hand on his shoulder, causing him to tense slightly before he relaxes the tiniest bit, "This is Lily. Lily, Damian."

I don't see Damian's face, but I watch as Lily's eyes study him before she smiles and disappears.

Damian tenses immediately, whirling around just in time to see her emerge next to us from my shadow.

He steps back, his hands going up slightly in defense, causing me to step in between them, grabbing one of his fists.

"It's okay," I say, causing him to relax, "She didn't mean to scare you."

"I'm not scared," Damian grumbles, eyeing her.

For a moment, I wonder if that's how I look meeting new people. If that's how Damian will always meet new people. Skeptical. Always ready for the worst. Scared of being crossed.

I push the thoughts away as both of them relax, observing the other before Lily points to the TV and disappears.

"She invited you to join us in watching Scooby-doo," I explain, and he hesitates before he nods.

"That is fine. A little childish, and too easy of mysteries, but it will do," He agrees and we both sit on the couch next to her.

She smiles warmly at him before doing the same to me and looking back to the TV.

He studies her face for a few moments before looking to me, giving me the same look before he settles into the couch.

I smile as they both start to watch, before I do the same.

_______________

I watch with the others as Lex talks on the computer.

We have had two meetings like this since Thanksgiving and Nightwing and I have managed to cross paths as little as possible.

After Damian left, I had to set Lily up with Alex before I snuck out to this meeting.

I briefly talked about Artemis and I training with Tara and how she showed signs that she had been trained by Deathstroke and brutally at that.

I wasn't surprised by that little bit of information. And when Artemis asked me to help, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to make sure everything was safe.

And I think she is. She just needs to make the choice for herself, but she is capable of good.

After my training session with them, Artemis grilled me on who exactly I was running from because "if they have you running, it means they are very very dangerous."

I dodged the question and moved on because I wasn't sure how to answer and because I didn't want to put her life on the line in case she did become a target.

The truth is, with me leaving Gotham and Bludhaven, I haven't had anyone follow me or threaten me, which means they either lost interest, or they never really lost sight of me.