𝔁𝔁𝓲𝓲

↳ 𝓕𝓻𝓪𝔂𝓮𝓭 𝓔𝓷𝓭𝓼

❝Do you know any restaurants I could take Kenji to?❞ Meena muses, as Athena's layering Kenji's birthday cake with chocolate frosting

❝Do you know any restaurants I could take Kenji to?❞ Meena muses, as Athena's layering Kenji's birthday cake with chocolate frosting. The melted, milk chocolate pours down the smooth, coffee-flavored cake in droplets. He asked Athena to help him bake a mocha cake — which was Kenji's favorite — because he had no baking skills whatsoever.

❝Maybe try that Japanese restaurant in North Haven. It's a bit of a drive, an hour or so, but Avery took Kyoko and him down there once a month when they were younger. Kenji loved it. He said it was how he imagined restaurants in Japan. He was a kid the last time he visited the country. It's called Sakuras.❞

Meena nods in reply, his mouth curving at the thought of Kenji happy. He'd clap his hands and bounce on the balls of his feet — teeth unveiled from behind muted-pink.

Meena wanted to give Kenji the best birthday yet. As selfish as that sounds. Whenever Meena was talking about how he hid his struggles with mental health from even his siblings, he noted the subtle falter of Kenji's smile.

The usual peach shade drained from his face, and melancholia flitted across his irises. Seeing that deflation was pins and needles to Meena's heart. Even worse, he caused that sadness. At that point, he swore he'd never hurt him, if it was intentionally or not.

The softness of Meena's smile reached his eyes, and butterflies fluttered in his stomach. Just thinking about Kenji made a genuine smile cross his lips.

Athena noticed the sudden elation, and followed suit with a smile of his own. ❝You care a lot about him, huh?❞ he prompts.

Meena's face darkened with an undertone of pink before he says, ❝I really like him, yes.❞ unconsciously, his thumb rubs the mother-of-pearl wing near his heart. a force of habit. ❝The last time I cared this much about someone, I slammed on the concrete, and he laughed from the roof. I know Kenji wouldn't do that, but... I'm still scared, you know.❞

❝Love can be terrifying. I know. I fell for two different people, and while one of them felt the same pull as me, Avery's a witch. Loving two people would flip his world upside down. I didn't think he could handle it. But people can surprise you. open up to him as much you can. He will love every scar and blemish without judgment. He's a great person with a heart of gold. I'm not telling you to shed your armor, then wait with a bated breath to see a reaction. Take it slow. Having patience is a vital part of relationships.❞

Meena's slender legs dangled off the cushioned barstool, swinging slowly and thumping the peeling wood of the island with socked feet. ❝I know. I don't doubt that he'd be open-minded for a second. Not anymore.❞

🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍🌹🤍

Contrasting shades of red blended together along the walls. The color of honey fell down on the hardwood from fluorescents dangling from copper chains. Artificial, potted plants grazed the center of the black and gray marble tables. Meena's features of toffee were softened from the lights, and Kenji thought his eyes were more of a caramel than coffee now. A softer brown than usual. Almost as if a bit of creamer was added.

Kenji thinks his eyes reflect his personality. When he closes himself off, he's distant and almost bitter. Opaque like watery, black coffee. But sometimes, his eyes were a gentle and welcoming shade. Similar to caramel, he becomes softer through time, sugary-sweet after dissolved.

❝Why are you staring at me?❞ Meena asks after a moment.

❝Just trying to decide what shade of brown your eyes are.❞

He flushed pink before replying, ❝Depends on the lighting, I guess. They're almost my skin color in the morning light. Gold, I've been told, in the afternoon sunshine. But in the dark, they are chocolate brown.❞

Kenji wasn't surprised. His eyes seem to become more subdued metaphorically or literally in the dark — like his personality.

Kenji unhesitatingly orders Hibachi-flavored chicken and shrimp — his usual order — and miso soup on the side. Meena easily translates the Japanese descriptions on the menu before settling with yakitori, a mixture of grilled steak and vegetables on skewers. Kenji asks for fried dumplings — yakigyosa — as an appetizer, too.

Less than ten minutes later, Kenji emphasizes to Meena, ❝You should try them,❞ with a wide grin and dilated pupils. Meena's lips fall open in surprise when Kenji grips his hand, pads of his fingers trailing the indents of his palm.

Nodding once, Meena grabs a moist dumpling from the plate. Biting down, he noted the tastes of peas and carrots with hints of oven-roasted pork.

Kenji peers at him from behind his lashes expectantly, awaiting a reaction. Even though he isn't familiar with many of their authentic traditions, Kenji wanted to share his culture and life with Meena. Selfishly, he wanted to learn all about his life, too, to be a part of it.

But that made him feel like a jealous boyfriend — if he could even call himself that. As far as Kenji knew, they never established they were dating.

Truthfully, Kenji's never dated anyone before, so he's unsure of what ❛the talk❜ entails.