CHAPTER 9

The time Nabel kept Ronée waiting was not very long. After issuing urgent orders, he immediately returned to her side.

“Sister.”

“Nabel.”

Ronée was gazing out the window. Even just a few hours ago, she never imagined things would turn out this way.

Bell seemed to have regained her strength a little, but she was still in Ronée’s arms with her tail hanging down.

After glancing at Bell, Nabel opened his mouth.

“Do you remember the forest that was like the sea?”

Ronée widen her eyes. Ryne, who was busy combing her hair, also had the same reaction.

Only the maid of the mansion, who was still unfamiliar to the two, bowed her head deeply and did not move while standing next to.

“They say it’s a place where the leaves stretch out endlessly, and that when the wind blows, the leaves sway like the motion of the ocean’s waves.”

Nabel’s gaze slightly touched Ryne and then fell. It was a story that Ryne once told them when they were young.

For Ronée, who was born in the inland region, it was hard to visualize such a landscape.

A forest that spreads out endlessly like the sea… it was too grandiose to imagine by simply multiplying the few trees visible outside the window of her room.

“I know of a place like that. I want to go together,” Nabel whispered quietly.

Ronée had no reason to refuse. She could never return to the Rieda mansion, nor could she venture to any other place on the Eastern Continent.

At least not within the reach of the temple. What’s more, they had even killed an Inquisitor mage…

Ronée’s expression darkened.

‘Will it be okay?’

Already branded as a demon, no matter where she went, she would be an enemy of the temple and their believers.

She may have to be on the lookout for the mages for the rest of her life.

But, what about Nabel?

“You have a lot of worries.” Nabel approached her and gently placed his hand on her cheek. His white gloves touched her cheeks.

“Ah.” As if realizing something about her, Nabel lightly pulled off the white gloves with his teeth. Soon, the gloves fell to the floor.

The maid of the mansion widened her eyes at the action. She knew her master wore his gloves wherever he went.

Now barehanded, Nabel touched Ronée again. This time he tried to smooth the worry creases forming at the edges of her eyes.

“If you’re worried about the incident with the Inquisitor mages, there’s no need. Did I not promise you?”

It was so long ago, the days of their childhood.

“I won’t do anything that brings harm my sister. So…” He spoke softly but his voice quavered slightly.

“Would you like to go see the ocean of trees with me?”

His question held implications that he wanted her to follow him wherever he went. Ronée clearly recalled their childhood conversation.

“Is that on the Western Continent?”

“Yes.”

That meant they had to leave the Eastern Continent. A completely new land. An unfamiliar place she had never been to or imagined she would ever set foot in.