Chapter 3: The Mother

DAY 14:

The solar panels are connected to each other in a series. At least that's what I determined after a few hours standing on the roof under the burning sun. Each panel is connected to each other by one thick wire, making a complete circuit without parallel connections. One wire then disappears down over the side of the roof to what I can only assume is some sort of electrical meter.

So, they are like Christmas lights. If one connection is loose, then the whole thing goes dark.

Clara loved Christmas decorations. When she was little she got such a kick out of just driving around different neighborhoods to see what people put up. There was one block that was notorious for their holiday spirit. One house even had lights that twinkled to the beat of Christmas jingles.

When she was a little older–6? 7?–we started to decorate our own house over the top. Bought some blow-ups to put in the front yard and strings upon strings of lights. I'd hang them from the gutters, make a design on the roof, and cover the squat shrubbery that stood in front of our house.

Nothing was more annoying than a string of lights going dark after everything was all set up. I'd go crazy jiggling wires and replacing dead bulbs.

At least then I sort of knew what I was doing. This? This is a whole other level. I'm a little league player trying out for the MLB. The basic principles might be the same, but I'm in a much larger ballpark.

There's rust built up on some of the connections, but if my Christmas light theory is correct, then what I need to focus my efforts on repairing is one wire that has been completely torn away. I think I can repair it if I have some copper wire, wire cutters, pliers, and electrical tape.

That is of course, if the problem is with the panels and not with the transmitter or converter or whatever connects the panels to the fuse box.

What I don't know is, what will happen if I actually correctly connect the wires? Am I going to fucking electricute myself? Do I need special gloves or something? Special tools?

I found the fuse box, but I'm pretty sure that only turns off the electricity inside the house. It doesn't turn off the sun.

Speaking of the sun... how do solar panels work when it's dark outside? Like, are there batteries somewhere that get charged and then last through the night?

Modern technology might as well be magic. I know it's real because I've seen it work, but the next generation? Any soul ill-fated enough to be born into this world? Will they ever believe their parents' stories about television and smartphones? Or will that sound as far-fetched as witch's brew and unicorns?

 I know it's real because I've seen it work, but the next generation? Any soul ill-fated enough to be born into this world? Will they ever believe their parents' stories about television and smartphones? Or will that sound as far-fetched as witch'...

DAY 15:

Before he became a zombie, Jack had one of those tool cabinets in the shed. Not just some run-of-the-mill tool box like I used to have. No, he had an honest-to-God tool cabinet with all sorts of pull out drawers. He had all sorts of ratchets and saws and pliers. Stuff I can only imagine the use for.