Nothing I could've done would've changed anything, and I loved you too much to let that kind of naive hope slip through my fingers. And because of the love I had for you, I was blinded to any sense of reality, from the instant I saw that bite. Because of me, you left this earth without hearing the one thing you needed to. It was all you had left, and I took that away from you.

And I'm sorry.

I'm so sorry, Carl.

You knew that I loved you. I know you did. You felt it, and I did too. Every second of every day. I still feel because of you. And if you were around to see me like this, after what happened to you, I'd be damning you for making me feel this way.

You'd be so proud of how far we've all come. You're somehow still the talk of the town and everything we've done has been in your honor. And your father's. He didn't make it, but he saved us. Just like you saved Alexandria.

Judith is just like the both of you. She's a natural-born leader with a big heart. She still has a lot to learn, and I hope that I can be the one to teach her, just like you wanted me to. I may have a lot of time to make up for, but I think I'm doing a pretty good job of being her fun Aunt Meg.

It kills me to think about how much you would've loved to be here at the fair, today—how you'd be having so much fun with the two of us. Knowing that I'm finally get to see that movie we talked about so long ago, without you by my side, is the most confusing part.

I don't know whether I'm having trouble remembering what watching a real movie was like, or if it just feels wrong having to watch it on my own. Well, I won't be alone—I'll have Judith. Speaking of your sister, she's probably waiting on me. Who knows how long I've been sitting here writing this.

Stepping away from this sheet of paper is the second hardest thing I'll ever have to do, right after losing you the way that I did. It almost feels like I'm losing you all over again. But this time, I'm finally saying goodbye. And I can't tell you how long I've needed to let everything out.

So thank you, Carl. Thank you for teaching me how to feel—how to love.

Because I loved you then and I'll be in love with you until we meet again.

Love,
Megan

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────
912 words

A/N

Carl           🤝          Megan
         saving siddiq

at least they're together again <3

she def was shedding tears on that paper while she wrote the letter (and if anyone is confused she wrote it before going to the movie)

this A/N is going to be a lengthy one, so settle down and grab a snack.

i was 13 when I first discovered Carl Grimes. I'd watched seasons 1-2 of twd when they first came out on Netflix (when I was like 9), and forgot about it until I saw an edit on MUSICAL.LY in 2015 of Carl and Enid running around in the woods.

i instantly fell in love with twd and binge watched it before the mid-season premiere aired on TV. coincidentally, the first episode I watched live was 6x09 and I had NO idea that he was going to lose his eye... ahahah.

anyways, fast forward to summer of 2017, I started this fic and Megan was named Valentina and her character was PSYCHOTIC. (i also had a chandler riggs fic but we don't talk about that). i had no motivation to write past like the first chapter because I thought that the cg fandom was dying.

and then Carl's bite was revealed on December 11, 2017. and then carl, himself ACTUALLY died in 2018. I tried to watch the show but it was not the same without him.

fast forward to April 2021, I redownloaded wattpad for the nostalgia and read all of the fics in my library and discovered new carl fics (*cough cough* all the lovely bad ones) and I became obsessed with twd in general, again.

and at the end of my favorite carl fic (*cough cough* all the lovely bad ones) the author said to go out and write your own fics so I was like... yk what maybe I will. and thus, extinction event was reborn. (in 2017, it was called "issues" and then in 2021 it was called "kids")

I'm kind of out of my Carl Grimes phase and have been out of it for a while. I'm older now and he gives me the ick sometimes, but I'm still so fascinated by his story and how tragic it was. I'll never forget how comforting his character was for me when I was 13-15. NEVER. like the trajectory of my life changed when I saw that carnid edit on musical.ly.

so, if there's one thing that I hope this fic accomplishes, it's just to comfort you. i want to give you guys the same feeling I had when I was a teen and needed comfort. and if you've managed just to forget about the world around you and get invested in this story for a few hours, I've done my job.

i can't thank you guys enough for all of the support and appreciation you've given me since extinction event has begun. i have the best readers in the WORLD and i will keep working hard to make you guys proud :,).

my new Carl fic is in the works, but I'm having trouble writing the first scenes. once I get those to my satisfaction, it'll be smooth sailing for a while, I promise !!

i have three little bonus parts that are soon to come, because EE would not be complete without them :.)

also if you haven't, pretty please go back and see if you've missed voting on any chapters because I work really hard on them and it would make my year <3 and I love clout :p no I'm kidding... no I'm not

this will NOT be the last you will hear of me. so deal with it ;)

- disturbedia