35

I felt thunder striking me when I saw her smiling at me. I immediately stood up and bowed in front of her but she only laughed at me. What's there to laugh at? Do I look funny to her? Am I a joke? “No need to bow in front of me, I am actually here to be friends with you!”

Did I hear that right?

The princess... Wants to be a friend of mine?! Holy shit! What the hell do I do, my face is heating up. Ah, I'm panicking!

“Hey, no pressure. I don't see myself as a princess, so I'd prefer if you also not consider me as one...” she sat down on the grass, I sat down beside her, too. What else am I supposed to do? Of course, sit down beside her.

I wonder, does she know about me and Xiao? Does she know who Venti Barbatos is? Or they hid our past from her... That's just too cruel, but yet I find no reason to expose more of our story. “I'm not supposed to be the queen.” she chuckles, looking from afar. “but I'm slowly wanting to...” she looks down at the same time and I saw how her tears fall on the grass, she was still wearing that smile.

What the hell am I supposed to do?! Should I wipe her tears?! Ah— fuck, what the fuck!

“I'm sorry.

She said.

I was just staring at her as she tries to wipe as much as tears as she can while smiling to give tell me that she was okay, I know she isn't. She wouldn't cry like this if she was. I don't know why the princess was suddenly apologizing to me, but I didn't want to question anything because I am not in the place to do so.

“I'm sorry for falling in love.”

She looked at me, finally letting her smile fade. She held both of my hands and tried her best to stop her tears from falling by closing her eyes.

What, does she likes me or something?!

“I-I don't understand.”

“Venti Barbatos, you are the true princess in his life.” she smiles once more — but this smile was more genuine, and I just knew there wasn't any bitterness in it. It looked so profound... I can sense extreme agony inside of her, but I don't understand anything.

“I love Xiao.”

My eyes widened without me knowing. I know they love each other but I couldn't help but feel surprised about this... I shouldn't feel this way. I shouldn't feel shocked. They loved each other from the start, she didn't need to slap it on my face.

I had the urge to pull my hands away from her grip because of anger that was building up inside me but I knew it wasn't a great decision to do.

“But he loves you.”

What?

So many questions were lingering inside my head. I didn't know where to focus. To the princess in front of me? Her words? Or the questions that still remain inside my head?

Was she serious, or was she trying to give me hope so that I will break more when they get married?

“I've considered being selfish many times, Venti... I've thought about going back to the castle to marry him, I've thought about us getting married and having our own family.”

What does this have to do with me? I don't deserve to know this. I don't need to know this. It just break my heart. I couldn't handle hearing more, I just wanted her to shut up. “But I know those were wrong. He loves you, Venti. Please give yourself a chance to love him again, and maybe... Just maybe, I'd be happy that I was a part of you guys' story.” she gave me a weak smile, her cries getting more intense.