Prologue

"And you're certain that this is a good idea?" Caius asked Aro once more

"And you're certain that this is a good idea?" Caius asked Aro once more. He was sure his friend had lost his mind. He must have. "Of course I am, brother," Aro Volturi cheerfully told him, a broad and almost haunting smile on his face, "This might be the best idea I ever head." Caius could only shake his head. "I'm aware that the Cullen's have great creations in their coven, but creating a Hybrid ourselves?" "Why it is the best way to ensure we have such a wonderful creation ourselves," Aro almost giggled, "Besides, if something were to ever happen to us, we'd have an heir to take over our legacy. Or better yet: Ensure nobody ever can take us down." "Not like anyone could do that now," Caius muttered. "Ah, I wouldn't be so sure. The Cullen's did have quite a few supporters on their hands a few months ago..." "Which is why we should've ended them in the first place," Caius exasperated, "But no, you had to play nice and just leave them completely intact." Aro only gave him a look. "You haven't seen what I have seen." An almost invisible shuddered took over his immortal body for a split second, remembering the vision Alice Cullen had shown him, which had ultimately caused him to order everyone to leave. It had severely hurt his reputation and standing - the people who usually feared him not understanding why he would just simply give up - but he kept quiet and continued to hold his head high. Showing weakness now would only lead to further speculation. Perhaps this was why he was so intent on creating a Hybrid now. He had to show his fellow vampire folk just how powerful the Volturi really were.

"And you sincerely believe that you could procreate with a human," Caius' voice showed how disgusted he was, "have her survive that and a pregnancy and walk out of this with an heir?" "Yes." "Marcus, please tell him he is being insane right now." The mostly catatonic vampire just sighed and shook his head. "Leave me out of this." "As expected," Caius grimaced and faced Aro once more. "Why don't we take the Cullen's down, take the few that are gifted with us and then leave it at that? Seems much simpler than what you're planning to do right now. They wouldn't see us coming." "My, have you forgotten the have the psychic? They would see us coming right away." "We don't even know anything about Hybrids and their needs. Or what pregnancy with one would entail. It could very well cost us the lives of both the human and the heir." "I saw in Edward Cullen's mind what it took to keep Isabella alive," Aro told him, "It's something that we'll definitely be able to do as well." "Doubtful." "I am not expecting your support, Caius," Aro told him sternly, "However, I am expecting you to trust what I am doing." "Fine," Caius sighed, "But if this goes wrong, and it will, I want no part of it." Aro only chuckled before turning his back on his brothers and walking out slowly.

"Be my guest. I have some final errands to run before Eleazar comes back with the human." "You have already chosen a human woman?" "No," Aro shook his head, "But Eleazar owed me a favour. I asked him to bring me a particularly gifted one." Even Caius was now shocked at how sinister Aro's gaze was. He wondered what Eleazar could possibly owe him after he had left the Volturi on good terms ages ago and considering that, despite him standing on the Cullen's side a few months back, they had killed a coven mate of theirs, so he figured they were even. As soon as Aro had left, Caius turned around again, thinking for a second before looking at Marcus. "He's always been playing with fire, but this will burn him." "Agreed," Marcus sighed, "But let him be." Caius scoffed. "A hybrid..." he shook his head in disbelief once more, "How silly." 

-