Chapter Nine: Breakfast And Milk

Start from the beginning

"And now we wait for five minutes." Hazel comments as she sets the strip down on her nightstand.

Meanwhile, Mila is sitting on her bum and staring at Hazel's breast with wide eyes. She licks her little lips and leans forward, trying to latch on.

"Hold on, pea. We have to wait a couple more minutes." Hazel comments as she tucks her breast back in her tank top.

I move to sit on the bed beside them and pull Mila into my arms. She's pouting again and wiggling to get to Hazel's breasts. "I know, ladybug. It's hard."

"Wan Mama 'ilk." She cries while rubbing her eyes.

The timer I set on my phone goes off and Hazel lifts up the strip. The color is blue, signaling that her breastmilk is clean. I don't know how because she just went off the pain medicine yesterday, but I'm thankful.

"Okay, pea. You can come get some milky." Hazel says with a large smile as she completely takes off her tank top.

Mila wastes no time. She scrambles off my lap and climbs her way into Hazel's. My wife supports her breast and helps Mila latch on. We watch as she suckles hungrily while staring up into her Mama's eyes.

"There you go, my love. See, everything's okay." Hazel whispers while stroking her cheek with the backs of her fingers.

Little rivulets of milk run down the side of Mila's cheek as she suckles. Her latch is strong and I can tell we're going to be here for a while. Mila lifts her chubby, dimpled hand and rests it on the swell of Hazel's breast.

My wife sniffles and wipes her eyes. They're teary and red. "Is everything okay?" I question, scooting closer to her.

"Yeah. I just missed holding her like this. I know it was only a few days, but I still missed it." Hazel sniffles again and looks back down at Mila.

***

Eventually, we all head downstairs. Mila is still nursing, but Hazel's hungry and feeling well enough to come eat breakfast at the table. Rose and Bill are still here and it looks like they're in the middle of cooking a large breakfast.

Waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs, and even fresh fruit. My stomach grumbles loudly and I brush my hand on it. "Looks good." I comment as I step into the kitchen.

Hazel follows behind me with Mila securely in her arms. She's still topless, but there's a small blanket covering the breast Mila isn't nursing on.

"Good. I'm glad. Take a seat, Hazel. We don't want you tiring yourself out." Bill demands while pointing at the table with the spatula he's using to stir the eggs.

Hazel rolls her eyes at her father, but does as he asked. I follow behind her and sit down in the chair beside hers. Taking a look at Mila, I see that she's still suckling. Her belly has to be full by now. She's showing no signs of stoping, though.

"She didn't get to say hi to your parents." I whisper, reaching over to rub my fingers through Mila's messy hair.

I didn't get her dressed after changing her, so she's only wearing a diaper. I also didn't brush her hair, but we're at home with family. We all don't care.

"She'll get to say hi when we all sit down to eat," Hazel pauses and looks down at Mila saying, "You are going to eat some real food too, missy. You can't just have Mama's milky all day."

Mila, being Mila, just ignores Hazel and goes back to her little suckles. We're probably going to have a hard time unlatching her.

"Alright! Breakfast is done." Rose shouts as she carries several platters full of food to the table. She sets them down and goes back to grab more. We probably aren't even going to eat all of this. That just means there's going to be a lot of leftovers.

Once all the food is placed on the table, Hazel unlatches Mila, putting on the shirt I brought down for her. Surprisingly, she didn't put up a fight about it. The only time she did fight, was when we tried to put her in her highchair. My baby is content to sit on her Mama's lap while I fill their plates up with food.

"I made some grits for Mila too. I remember how much she likes cheesy grits." Bill's voice rings with pride and I thank him, spooning some grits onto Mila's plastic baby plate.

As soon as it's in front of her, she digs in like there's no tomorrow. The first thing she goes for is the bacon. I know she loves it, but damn. She is devouring that piece as messy as can be.

"Slow down, baby. You're going to choke." Rose gently chides.

She slows down a fraction, then digs into her grits with her hands. There's a baby spoon right next to her plate. Of course, my little girl ignores it.

"You are one messy girl. We're going to have to give you a bath after this." Hazel laughs quietly.

We all sit around talking when we finish eating. It's a good morning and I can't wait for the rest of the day. I just hope Mila keeps up this good behavior.