Chapter Thirty Three - Her Dinner

Start from the beginning

I chuckled at her as she led us inside her house, "I think I'll be fine. I'm excited to see where the hell you came from."

As if on cue, a furious blush crept onto her cheeks  and I smirked at the reaction. I loved that I could make her blush still.

"Welcome to the mad house," Mabel replied as she pushed the door open. "Mom? Dad?" She paused looking around the empty home. "Marco?"

Mabel grabbed onto my hand and I curled my fingers around hers as she pulled me into her home. I saw the walls lined up with family photos, Mabel's grinning face present in each one and I found myself lost in her hypnotizing smile and bright eyes for the thousandth time.

How the hell this girl thought she needed my help getting someone to notice her was beyond me. I definitely noticed the looks she got and if she was worried that people didn't think she was beautiful or worth meeting, she couldn't have been more off base. If anything, guys just didn't think they had a shot with her. Hell, I didn't think I had a shot with her.

"Harold, you have a bad back. You can't be climbing ladders like you're in your twenties again," I heard a voice coming from the living room.

I walked in to see Mabel's dad standing on a ladder with stringed lights and her mom anchoring the ladder to the floor with both of her hands.

"I'm fine, Jean. I have the same agility as when I was twenty. Do you need proof?" He asked, winking.

"Gross," Mabel complained as she walked into the room, letting my hand go in the process.

"Did we not just talk about your jokes, Harold?" Mabel's mom snapped. "I swear, sometimes I wonder what goes through your mind-"

"-Mom?" Mabel interrupted but her mom kept going.

"-Mabel's here for the first time in a year and you just won't shut up-"

"-Mom?" Mabel tried again to no avail.

"-I'm trying! It comes naturally!" Her dad defended.

"Mom! Dad!" Mabel shouted, "There's company," She hissed.

Her dad turned around on the ladder quickly and met my eyes before tripping on the rim and falling flat on his back.

"Harold!" Mabel's mom gasped as she reached down and grabbed for his arm as he groaned in pain.

"Dad?" Mabel questioned as she moved towards him to look at him still lying on the floor. "Can you move?"

He nodded, wincing as he attempted to move. "Just take a minute," I advised as I stepped closer. His previously shut eyes were now wide and taking me in.

"My back, young man, is as good as it's ever been," He breathed out as he attempted and failed to sit up.

"I don't doubt it," I agreed with him. "Do you mind if I take a look?"

He scoffed but his wife answered for him, "If you don't mind."

I nodded, "Of course." I rolled my sleeves up and bent down to check on Harold's back. I gently padded the area to check for abnormalities as he glared at me.

"What are you? A masseuse?" He asked me begrudgingly.

"Unfortunately not," I replied. "I'm a firefighter and heavily trained in first aid. I'm Marcus by the way."

His eyes flashed to Mabel who was watching us with worried eyes. I gave her a reassuring smile, "You seem fine. An ice pack on for a few minutes before switching to a heat pad for a few minutes would help with the pain."