Chapter Twenty One - Her Prep

"Okay, booze for me," Amanda announced as she entered my apartment, "and Xanax for you."

I narrowed my eyes at her, "So thoughtful, Amanda." But I took the bottle anyway and pocketed it because at the rate my heart was going, I wasn't sure I was going to make it the night.

"Kidding, kidding! I brought you super sprinkled donuts." She pulled out a brown bag and I jumped at it, pulling out a doughnut with sprinkles covering every literal inch of it.

"How on earth did you do this?" I gasped as I bit into the sugary dough.

"I badgered the bakery boy for thirty minutes and when that didn't work, I began to scare people away with horror stories of food poisoning from donuts. He was not happy. Seriously, I'm banned from ever returning."

"Aww, Amanda. You big softie, you," I grinned at her.

"Yeah, yeah. Don't get used to it. That's still Connie for us." She plopped onto my couch. "Where is our golden girl anyway? Is she late?"

I shrugged, "Beats me."

Amanda pulled out her phone and dialled a number quickly. "Oh hey, Con. Whatcha up to? Oh, running late you say? Because I'm here at five thirty on the dot because someone specified the importance of punctuality. Who might this wise, elder have been? Hmm? Any recollection there, Con-Con?"

I laughed, enjoying Connie's perfect record being tarnished for a moment.

"Was that you by any chance? No, it couldn't have been," Amanda proceeded. It was times like this that I could really see how Amanda's parents were big shot lawyers. She could really grill people.

My front door opened at that moment and Connie walked in, phone still on her ear. "Your Gucci-Prada-Chanel-what's it called watch must be off. I'm right on time." She hung up her phone and turned to me with a smile. "Hey, Mabel."

Amanda sifted through my closet as Connie lay flat on my bed and stared at my ceiling.

"You okay, Con?" I asked, weirded out by her late arrival and quiet demeanour.

Without making eye contact she responded quickly, "Yeah."

I furrowed my eyebrows and looked at Amanda who poked her head out of my closet. She shrugged her shoulders and continued her sifting.

"You two can stop making eyes at each other," Connie stated sitting up and leaning on her elbows as she glared at us. "I told you I was fine."

"Fine," Amanda responded, putting her hands up in defeat.

Amanda turned to me and made a 'she's crazy' motion with her finger to her head.

"Amanda," Connie scolded.

"What?" Amanda laughed, "I wasn't talking about you. Mabel and I are talking about someone else. Who's moping on a bed."

"I don't mope," Connie grumbled, laying back down.

"We're just worried, Connie," I conceded, sitting down on the bed next to her.

"I'm fine, Mabel." Connie crossed her arms over her chest. It was all so out of character for her. I couldn't help feeling taken aback.

"How's your internship going anyway?" I asked Connie and she sat up frustratedly.

"Everything's going just super, Mabel," She snapped.

I felt my heart clench. I hated when people were upset with me. I always prodded too much.  I didn't know when to stop asking questions.

Amanda stepped out of my closet holding a little black dress that she tossed onto the bed. "I think this will look great on you."