Chapter Ten - His Night Out

"Alright, masks have been worn. Pizza has been eaten. Friends has been watched. What say you we hit the town?" Marcus asked as he wiped his hands on a napkin.

"B-but, my outfit!" I complained loudly.

Marcus shrugged, "Wear whatever you want. You pull off the cute, nerdy girl thing anyway."

"I'm sorry, your entire spiel was about me dressing trendier and now you're like wear what you want, Mabel," I pointed out, deepening my voice to mimic his.

"To get your football star man, yeah," He stated matter of factly. "But we're just heading out. I've already seen you in your embarrassing pajamas. I don't care what you wear. Also, a tad of a higher pitch next time you try and imitate me, Maybie." He teased playfully.

I shot him a glare, which was becoming a norm at this point. He was making fun of me, I just didn't know how yet. "Fine. I'll be quick."

Marcus grinned at me lazily, leaning back and resting the back of his head against both interlaced hands. "I'll wait."

I waited a minute to see if he was kidding and apparently he certainly wasn't. So I sighed and stood up, intent on changing and making most of the night. This would work in my best interest in terms of snagging Jackson anyway. I needed practice.

I walked into my room, closing the door behind me and pulling my phone out. I texted the group I was in with Amanda and Connie.

Mabel: Wardrobe advice for going out?

Within seconds, Connie replied.

Connie: Where are you off to?

Mabel: Marcus is finally teaching me the ways of the force

Amanda: English please

Mabel: We're going to a bar

Mabel: To meet guys!

Mabel: To practice. Not for fun

Connie: You look amazing in anything, but your leather jacket looks great on you

Amanda: Pretty sure you mean my leather jacket

Mabel: Oh right. You still remember that? It's a nice jacket. I get so many compliments on it

Amanda: I remember getting those

Mabel: Maybe you can guilt trip your parents into getting you another?

Amanda: ...thanks Mabel

Connie: You both look amazing in it. Wear it with that black wrap dress I got you for Christmas, Mabel. You got this

Amanda: Take the rape whistle with you and remember the knee to the crotch move

I was so lucky to have them. I pulled the prized leather jacket out and slipped it on over a black  long sleeved dress that came above my knees, taking Connie's advice. The dress was so tight that it cushioned my stomach flab, which I was always grateful for.

I put on some light makeup before grabbing my phone and walking out. Marcus was typing away on his phone, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration.

He looked up and back down to his phone before darting his eyes back at me, his gaze widening. He locked his phone and stuffed it into the pocket of jeans. "I look pretty hot, right?" I teased as I raised the collar of my leather jacket, pulling out a pair of shades from my pocket and sliding them on slowly. "Don't be intimidated."