Chapter Six - His Defence

"Drop the goddamn chip and make a move, Joey," I snapped holding my cards lazily in my hand and eyeing the blonde seated across from me

"Don't rush me," Joey muttered, his eyes trained on his cards, hoping something would magically pop out by the looks of it.

"You always say that when you bleed throughout the entire fuckin' game," Matt huffed in frustration, brushing back his black hair off his forehead.

He wasn't wrong. Joey, Matt, and I met up for poker once a week and and without fail, Joey always got his ass handed to him.

Sucks too since he begged us to play something different every week.

"Maybe it's just a bluff?" Joey snapped, holding his cards to his chest.

"That'd be the surprise of the century," I muttered under my breath.

"Just fold," Matt encouraged, leaning forward. "You know you want to."

"Fuck you," Joey grumbled.

Matt rolled his eyes and turned to me, an analyzing look in his eyes, "How you doing, man?"

"Currently beating your ass, Matty boy," I replied snarkily. I knew it wasn't what he meant. He knew that I knew it wasn't what he meant.

"Debatable," Matt argued. It wasn't. "You meeting anyone new these days?"

"Lots of people," I winked at him.

"Not what he means," Joey piped in.

I shot him a glare, "Focus on your cards there, Joe."

He lifted his hands in defeat and went back to staring at his cards without actually knowing what the hell he was doing.

"I know things with Vanessa have been beyond hard on you-"

"-Don't finish that thought, Matt," I warned, my gaze steadily on his face.

"All I'm saying is, I know it's easy to fuck around and pretend you don't care, and by all means, do that if that's what you need. I just don't want you to throw your future away by this becoming it for you. It's been two years, man."

Matt always gave good advice. Need a new car? Matt's your guy. Computer advice? Matt's there. Finance management? Matt knew it all.

What Matt knew nothing about was heartbreak in relationships.

Matt married his high school sweetheart at eighteen and they've been sickeningly in love ever since. Lovey-dovey, call every hour, update about everything kind of love.

A phone rang at that moment and I'd bet all my chips it was Miranda.

Matt lifted his phone to his ear and shot me a look as if to say we're not done discussing this.