Chapter 38. Wine.

ENZO

My neck hurts from scrouching all day.

I had to sign papers today while in the midst of packing  things in my office.

I massaged my neck just to ease a little bit of pain but it was no help.

Sakto namang tumunog ang phone.

Marahan akong nagtungo sa table ko kung saan nakapatong iyon. It was Ken calling. I know they told me about this get-together party last night but I don't intend to go. I don't have time to party right now. I have so much on my desk...and my emotional baggage. I'm not in the mood for a fucking party.

I received the call.

"Yow Enzo!"

I could hear the loud music. I think they just got started.

"I'm busy." Matigas na sagot ko.

He just laughed which was awkward because it's not even funny.

"I know! Alright, take your time and join us later if you want. Or if not, we'll just talk tomorrow."

"Yeah. Tomorrow." Bored na sagot ko.

I don't really feel like partying today. Not ever. Maybe never.

"Ok bro, bye! Have a good night!" His laugh echoed before he ended the call.

He must be drunk already.

Marahas akong napabuga sa hangin. Pasalampak akong umupo sa couch.

My back hurts.

Everything hurts.

Even this. This beating thing that pumps blood all over my body.

Funny how one single organ hurts and then everything goes with it so you lose your senses like you're in a vegetative state.

I switched my lights to dim mode so the athmosphere became as lonely as me.

It's a good thing that I sent Henry home early so I can be miserable on my own. No interruption.

I closed my eyes and savor the deafening silence.

I closed my eyes still when out of nowhere, I heard footsteps.

Maybe I was mistaken...but the footsteps are getting closer. And before I open my eyes, the door opened.

Marahas akong lumingon sa pintuan.

"Geez...this room is darker than my soul..."

She was standing right there with no balance while her hands searched the wall for the switch.

"Oops! Here it is!"

I heard a click and then the room brightened.

I must be dreaming because how can it be?

"C-Cristina?"

I whispered in disbelief as if I was scared that this delusion might disappear.

Her eyes travelled the room as if searching for a soul.

Her eyes were sad and her wavy hair fell down her shoulders. Her cheeks were the color of roses and her lips redder than the last time I tasted them.

Damn. She looked so vulnerable.

Her face lit up the moment she found me, finally standing across the room.

"Oh, there you are, sweetheart... I've been looking for you."