Chapter 34. Vladymir.

"So... this is what you've been up to."

He was pacing around the room, na para bang nasa loob siya ng museum. He was inspecting with his eyes as if it needed his approval.

"Hmm. Same old habits." sagot ko at kumuha ng isa pang baso at sinalinan ng alak.

"Is it?" He said with a hint of disbelief.

I wrinkled my brows. It feels like he's been reading the book of Enzo through my eyes. I walked towards him at binigay sa kanya ang baso ng alak.

"Why did you come?"

"Am I not allowed to?" He took a sip casually.

"Usually, it's him instead of you. And you're 11 days ahead of time. Are you that excited to take me home?"

"Who said I came here to take your stupid ass home?"

"Then why are you here?"

He walked past me at naupo sa sofa.

"Hmm. Just taking a stroll...wondering what you've been up to."

I followed him and sat, finally we're sitting down while drinking.

"Weirdo."

And then we laughed for old time's sake. Probably the most genuine laugh I had since coming back from Isla dela Vega.

"I'd like to see the boys tomorrow." maya-maya ay sabi niya.

I just shrugged my shoulders.

"Yeah, they would be thrilled to know that you travelled all the way from the Caribbean Cruise just to take a stroll here with no agenda at all."

"You still have trust issues. You haven't change at all."

I didn't say a word.

Well... I thought someone could've made a difference, but it was just me...and my wishful thinking.

It wasn't me who had extreme trust issues. I was merely a pawn. It was like bringing a knife to a gunfight. You're dead before you even raise your hand.

"I'll be staying, indefinitely. I wanted to make sure that counts."

In other words, he will be bugging me during his vacation and that's not a problem at all.

"What will you do here while you're on leave?"

"You know, a little chat will do. Parties are fine too. But for now I'm jetlagged."

I wish I could tell my brother that finally I have learned to fall in love...that I took the risk. I wish I could tell him how beautiful she is and how she managed to turn my world upside down. I wish I could tell him the story of how we first met.

But all of those things are just my memories and just mine to keep alone...and it meant nothing to her. So it's all pointless.

Damn it. I can't believe I'm still thinking about her while desperately needing a way to forget.

"I'm tired from the flight. I'm gonna go rest a bit." aniya at tinungga ang natitirang alak saka tumayo.

"Where are you staying?"

"Well that's a secret."

I raised my brow. He's always been like that, secretive and a VERY private person.

"See you tomorrow."

"Yup. Sure." sabi ko sabay tango.

He left swiftly just as he came in. I've been staring at the door for 3 minutes.

I've never seen my brother in years because he's always away. We only see each other once in a while...like now.

I never drew suspicion out of his action but my instinct says there's something. Did he know that I was planning to leave?

Well, kung alam man niya, there's no need to see me because we'll see each other anyway... Or maybe he's really on leave and he just needs a breather. Travelling at sea can be a little bit sickening.

Yes, he's always at sea because he's a Cruise Ship Captain. He always loved the sea.

Well I guess I can use some distraction. Kahit sandali lang, my brother will be saving my sanity by being a nuisance. I'd do anything just to forget about her, even for a moment. Because the moment I leave this place, there will be no going back.

I was refilling my glass nang tumunog ang celphone ko na nakapatong sa ibabaw ng lamesa. It was facing down kaya hindi ko makita kung sino ang tumatawag. I put my whiskey down at marahang dinampot iyon.

"Hanz."

Hindi ko alam kung bakit siya napatawag. I thought everyone agreed to ignore me, maybe he failed.

Maybe he has something important to say, I don't know.

"Enzo, did Vladymir came to see you?"

How did he know?

"Yeah. He just left."

"I thought I was mistaken. I saw him while on my way to the office. His ride came from the airport."

"Yup. It was a surprise visit."

"Enzo..."

He hesitated. He was going to say something but he couldn't.

Why is everyone being like this today? Am I that pathetic?

"Why do you sound like that?"

"Nothing. I just called to make sure you met him."

"You know him, diretso siyang pupunta dito pagkalapag pa lang niya sa airport. He doesn't waste his time."

Silence.

This is the most awkward phone call I had in my entire life.

"Hanz, you there?"

I could hear car sounds like he was in the side of the street.

"Yeah. I have to go now, bye!"

And then he ended the call.

Weird.

He sounded like he was torn apart. But why?

It's not like I'm against him and...her being together...if ever.

I'm not against them, it's just...painful to watch.

And that, my friend, is the reason why I need to leave as soon as possible. I couldn't congratulate them and then at the same time fake a smile and tell the world how happy I am for them.

That would be a lie. I'd rather disappear and support them in secret and then die silently.

This whole miserable circus I am in right is starting to exhaust me. I won't survive this.

And so tumayo na lang ako, grabbed my bag and then left the office.

I wanted to go home so bad, and continue being miserable there.