Chapter 5: Tit for Tat

Comenzar desde el principio

Being in love with Prince Kai and having to apologise to Prince Kai. Which female would be willing to lose face in front of her beloved man? In her previous lifetime, Shen Yue also spoke like that and Old Shen Furen thought likewise, but Jennie felt that it was embarrassing to death and was then confined by Old Shen Furen in a rage.

Thisone sentence of being in love with Prince Kai and not knowing any shame, thus ruining one's own reputation, implicated the entire residence. Shen Yue looked gentle and elegant but her mind could turn and twist things. Jennie could not help but look at her.

Shen Yue just finish speaking when she saw Jennie peering at her. That pair of black eyes like grapes were exceptionally clear, as if they contained some special intention, shocking her for a moment.

In the next second, Jennie's faint voice was heard, "Second Older Sister, what in love with His Highness Prince Kai. This sentence cannot be said. At the moment, Fifth Lady is a young lady yet to be wed. To say such a thing, one would fear that this would destroy Fifth Lady's reputation."

Shen Yue was stunned.

The entire noble circle in the capital knew that Shen Jennie was in love with Prince Kai. Although Jennie had not stated it before, her words and deeds had indicated as much. Why did she deny it now?

She smiled, "Fifth Younger Sister, there is only our own family here. These things need not be hidden..."

"Second Older Sister!" As she was talking, Jennie suddenly interrupted her as she loudly and severely said, "Second Older Sister must be careful with her words as trouble will come when improper words are spoken. His Highness Prince Kai is a Royal aristocrat and, we, as old influential family, must be even more cautious with our conduct. Previously it was Fifth Lady that was young and immature, leading towards thoughts and deeds being misunderstood, but what happened the other day was a lesson. Fifth Lady will restrict one's words and actions so may Second Older Sister please not say such words."

These words stunned not only Shen Yue but everyone in the house, including Old Shen Furen.

Jennie was usually very soft and timid and had never spoken loudly before. She was one who was obedient and easy to control. How could her words be this swift and severe?

A flash of light crossed Chen Rou Qiu's eyes. Shen Yue was still young, and therefore was not as smart as her. She came from a family of scholars and so was not without smarts. Usually she was lofty in nature and would never admit defeat, so when she saw her own daughter was at a disadvantage, she was annoyed and immediately with a gentle and soft voice said, "With one sentence Fifth Lady could clear up the matter of being in love or not, but when all is said and done, who is able to guess a female's heart. But Fifth Lady better listen to Third Shenshen's words, your Second Older Sister words were not wrong. His Highness Prince Kai's status is noble, hence, one should apologise to him."

"That is correct." Old Shen Furen also recovered and said, "Send a card to Prince Kai's residence tomorrow and personally apologise."

Jennie almost laughed with rage. These words could actually be used to deceive the innocent her in the previous lifetime. To see it now, she was a Di daughter of a family with military lineage, her status was very noble, so why should she go to a Prince to apologise. If that was done, where would Shen Xin put his face? One was afraid this would be yet another joke that would spread in the capital from tomorrow onwards.

She also finally understood that Old Furen saw Shen Xin, who was delivered by the YuanPei, as a sore in her eyes and could not wait to see the First household make a fool of themselves every day. The best would be for it to collapse as early as possible, and because Shen Xin and Shen Furen were not in the capital, she could use Shen Jennie as a raft.

In this world, how could there be such a good thing?

Jennie lightly smiled as her eyes fell onto Shen Qing who was quiet from the beginning. She said, "Eldest Sister, when I fell into the water, there was only you at my side."

Shen Qing raised her head and nodded quietly. She had already thought of it previously, Jennie would definitely say that it was her who pushed her into the water but Shen Qing was not afraid. The one who currently made the decisions in the Shen family was Old Furen and Ren Wan Yun, and Jennie only had the title of a Young Lady but was in actuality a daughter that the three households did not care about. As long as she insisted, Old Furen and Ren Wan Yu would side with her. At that time Jennie would be considered to be lying and would definitely be disliked by Old Furen, who would punish her heavily. She deserved it! Who told her that a vulgar and ignorant daughter like her could also fight with her for Prince Kai, she should have drowned on that day!

"Eldest Sister, did you also see His Highness Prince Kai?" Jennie asked, but she did not only mean this.

"Have seen." Shen Qing replied.

"Then it is as such. In the previous day, it was obvious that Eldest Sister and I were playing at the edge of the pond and I accidentally fell into the water. At the same moment His Highness Prince Kai, who was passing by the Shen residence, came in to get the painting from Second Shu and encountered the incident." Jennie shook her head, "If I were to steal a look at Prince Kai, where would I get the information from? It is unreasonable for Second and Third Shu's servants to pass the news to the Inner Residence. How would one know that His Highness Prince Kai would come to the Shen residence to request a painting from Second Shu, unless one is a prophet? Or..." She leisurely continued, "Could it be that His Highness Prince Kai sent a card to our residence?"

Shen Qing did not understand the meaning Jennie's words and wanted to refute with a frown but she heard her own mother suddenly shout, "Eldest Daughter!" The voice was unable to hide the urgency behind it.

Jennie glanced at the pale looking Ren Wan Yun and the suddenly nervous Chen Rou Qiu and smiled faintly.

What she said, how could anyone not hear the meaning beneath the words when there were so many smart people in the residence.

When Fu Xiu Yi went over to the Shen residence the day before, it was because when he passed by the Shen residence he remembered the chess bet with Shen Gui and went looking for him for a painting.

Now Jennie asked if a card was sent in advance... Presently the Emperor hated when the Princes and officials got too close and if one were to send an invitation in advance, what does the card mean? To plan for the future person next in line?

There were thousands of eyes and ears in the world, who would know if there were any spies of the Royal Family in the Shen residence. Some words could not even be said aloud.

The sentence from Jennie had already gone above the conduct of females concerning the loyalty of the officials. Shen Xin was in the Northwest region and naturally it would not affect him, but there was still Shen Gui and Shen Wan in the Shen residence and these two people held positions in court.

This reason, Shen Yue and Shen Qing did not understand but Ren Wan Yun and Chen Rou Qiu definitely understood.

Jennie sneered in her heart. They wanted to trample on her reputation, so she brought out Shen Gui's and Shen Wan's heads to bet. Did her Second and Third Shens understand? Was it worth it? Did they dare?

CHAPTER COMPLETED & EDITED