Chapter 9: See You Again (present)

Start from the beginning

"I know," I merely replied.

With that, I began to walk towards the music room. My hand reached out to turn the knob. And then . . . I felt it.

The slow surge of excitement, my heart beating faster and the adrenaline rushing through my veins. It was the feeling I looked forward to most right before the start of a game. Because whenever I felt it, I was sure as hell it was gonna be a good game.

My hand was on the knob but I didn't turn it yet. I was still trying to figure out why the fuck I was feeling this way over seeing a girl.

But I knew. Of course I fucking knew.

I just didn't want to acknowledge it yet.

No, not yet.

The moment I opened the door, I instantly heard singing.

"So let the light guide your way . . . Hold every memory as you go . . . And every road you take will always lead you home home home . . ."

I quietly entered the room and saw Halo's back to me. She was playing the piano while she sang, her voice sounding soft and gentle.

I stood there, unable to move - unable to look away as I waited for more.

"It's been a long day without you, my friend . . ."

I liked her voice.

"And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again . . ."

It was angelic.

"We've come a long way from where we began . . ."

It was soothing.

"Oh, I'll tell you all about it when I see you again . . ."

It took my breath away.

"When I see you again . . ."

I didn't even realize that I was staring at her like a goddamn lovestruck puppy until the music stopped, and I was left wanting more.

God, I wanna hear more.

"Great song," I commented.

At the sound of my voice, Halo jumped in startle and fell off the chair.

"Ah!" she yelped, landing on her butt.

"Shit," I muttered, running to help her up. "You okay?"

She nodded in answer, wetting her lips and avoiding my gaze as she composed herself. Her eyes wandered to my hand that was still on her arm. I reluctantly let go of her and stepped back a little.

That was when I noticed her tear-streaked face.

"Are you," I paused to lean closer, "crying?"

Her eyes met mine for a second, before she looked away again to wipe her tears. I couldn't help but admire how her black hair framed her porcelain face. Despite the red puffy eyes and nose, she looked good.

"The song," she cleared her throat, trying to explain.

Oh, right.

"Paul Walker."

Man, that guy was a serious fucking legend. Such a shame what happened to him. I saw Furious 7 last April and the end nearly had me in tears. Nearly.

"Yeah," sniffed Halo. "It's such a nice tribute. We had a movie marathon last night, see. I get a little emotional whenever I hear that song and it takes me days to get over it."

I fought a smile. "Dork."

"That's rather mean," she said, pursing them damn fine lips of hers.

"Or rather adorkable," I teased, grinning now.