Chapter 1

Lucky’s POV

Uh, these things don’t let my skin breathe like I’d want. My finger slides under the edge of my glove, pulling the matching flesh color away from my bronzed, golden flaked skin. Granted, they allow me to at least look normal to the naked eye. To touch. Unfortunately, not to feel.

I reach to my porcelain coffee cup, taking my golden reusable straw sipping the contents. My life would look completely different if I’d never received these gloves. If it wasn’t for the swirling dark roast coating my tongue, I feel like my flashback was a bout of time travel. Fuck, I wish I could travel through time. I'd undo one of the biggest mistakes of my life.

Flashback

Darkness. The pitch black view of my surroundings reflected the emptiness of my heart. I cried until my tears ran out, golden streaks ran down my face. I couldn’t even cry normal tears. Unable to show emotion to anyone. So here I am sitting in the darkness, cloaked, hiding, wallowing in my sorrows. 
Just then, the door to my room cracked open, blindingly bright.

“Son, the most amazing thing has happened.”

“Mom, leave me be. There can’t be anything worthwhile since what I did last year. Just let me age out and waste my life away in this room.”

“Lookie here young man…. I am going to give you to the count of three to get your ass off that floor…. Or else.”

“No!” I burrow into my blanket tighter, protesting the movement she begged for.”

“One, two….”

“Ow mom, what are you beating me with?”

“My flipper, now get up or so help me, I’ll take off my belt. Get your golden butt up or your ass will be blistered later.”

I shift in my seat, laughing at my mom's fiery personality. Pausing only to take another sip of my coffee, returning back to her memory. 

“Alright, woman. You win, just give me five minutes,” covering my face again.
She pulls at my makeshift cocoon, whacking the bottom of her flipper flat across my face.
“You better remember who it is you are talking to, young man.”
“But…”
She raised her hand again, shaking since the flipper gained weight as soon as it contacted my skin. “You know it would hit harder now. So, try me.”

I bend till my knees hit the floor, hugging her, only touching her clothes. Which for some reason it's the only material that is not affected by my touch. “Mom, I’m sorry.”

“Now, don’t get me all emotional. I don’t want to get all blurry yet. I want to be able to see your reaction when you open it.”

“Open what?”

“He said, ‘there is hope for you. One day, these will lead you to happiness. They will help you feel again.’ I trust him, I think you should too.”

"Who is he?"

"He, being Santa but the nice one. He's lovely, we talked for what seemed to be hours. It was a true gift. Just what I needed to recharge myself and secure my Goldie locks future."

"Ma, one, you are talking crazy again. You know I am not into believing all your weird superstitions and folklore. I'm not five. The world isn't filled with marshmallows and rainbows like you promised. Two, Santa isn't real and three, can you not call me Goldilocks? I'm not a girl."

"I am not crazy, Santa is alive. One day he will need you. I can call you whatever I like… we are not in public. Also, I have another flipper to beat you with if you sass back."

So I bend to her short will, she really is a handful even for being so small. The box was the most crisply wrapped box I'd ever seen. Mom definitely had to con someone in doing it for her as hers typically look like the cookie monster done chewed up and spit them out. I am almost intrigued to see what in this box would cause me to come out of my depression. My fingerprints start leaving golden prints behind. "Uh, mom…. Can you help me?" 

The paper was shed and she hurried opening the lid. Another layer of paper. Rest atop. "Son, just know what is in here, you can have a life with it. Promise to try?"

"Fine."

She turned the paper like the flip of a page to a book, revealing my present. "Gloves?"

"They are not just any gloves. Try them on!" 

I slip one of them on, accessing what it is I am fucking with. They are hot, fitting like a glove but looks just like my hand. Flexing my digits open and closed in a ball repeatedly. "I don't get it."

"Now give me a low five," holding her hand steady in front of me, with elation and excitement all over her face. 

"I can't. I will hurt you."

"So you need proof to be a believer? Here then, catch." She tosses a bendy straw at me. 

Reflexively,  my hand wrapped around its plastic exterior, turning it sideways. "Mom. It's still plastic! Look, plastic! It didn't change!" My other hand reaches up to continue accessing it but when my gloveless hand grazes its surface…. It changed in color and weight. My mouth had to be ajar for a solid minute. Reality hit as I fondled with the straw in both realities. My past flashback and present drink. This damn golden straw was the first symbol of a possibility of normal. A promise to try.

“Refill? Mr.” A voice gently interrupts my thoughts. 
“Sure. Uh, Gemma.”
A rosey blush transformed her cheeks, as her teeth sunk into her full bottom lip. I look away, knowing nothing would be able to happen after I murdered my first girl. Fifteen years, it’s been since I could go all the way. Fifteen years of having to use restraint. Not feeling the connection of that first love. First and last. 

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

This BOOK is dedicated to one of  my readers. A long time ago in chat I had joked about a man with a golden touch and the idea just sprouted into being a part of my multiverse. So I've named my main female after her.

Gemma, thank you for being you. I am lucky to have been introduced to you. Lots of laughs and inside jokes. I so look forward to our banter. 🍸🚽🐰

And StellaRoseATX one of my first book series I've fallen for was yours. Reading your books I knew we'd be the best-est of friends.  HBD. You and your books have done so much for me. Something to look forward to <3

You saw my writers block first hand, giving me great motivation. 

You two have gotten me through a fuck ton. I'm lucky to have friends like you. So this chapter is dedicated to you both <3 🐘👟