Chapter 1

NIARA'S POV

Gotham city wasn't the most pleasant city to reside in, terrible weather, constant crime and quite frankly it was grey and dull.

You would think that been the daughter of a DA would make it better which I suppose it did, there was certainly people in the city who had it worse, I was probably on the better end of society, lucky me.

Been seen as a snotty brat wasn't fun though as I did try my best break that image, I didn't particularly want people to see me like that.

I stirred my soup which had gone cold and turned to look at the door to the cafe as it opened.

I sighed as it wasn't the person I was expecting.

Half an hour late.

I presumed I got stood up again by my boyfriend.

Ben was a pain, quite frankly I was on the verge of breaking up with him although that wouldn't be an easy process.

I didn't like cold soup but I thought it would be rude for it to go to waste so I ate it anyways.

"Stood up again?"
A voice asked.

I turned and saw that it was the man who walked in, I recognized him actually, he was in my College course a few years back, it was a forensics course.

Edward Nashton if I remember correctly.

I remember him not having much friends which is quite sad really but we just never really interacted.

I had noticed he came in this cafe often though so maybe his just very observant.

"Oh right yeah, you was in my course at College, right?"
I questioned.

"I was"
Edward replied.

"Yeah I wasted my time with that course, I just ended up working at a library"
I responded.

"It didn't really matter anyway"
Edward stated.

"What do you mean?"
I wondered.

"Your Dad is a DA, you had a life all set out for you"
Edward muttered.

He wasn't exactly wrong but it was awkward for him to say that.

"I would prefer not to be like him or need his help in life to be quite honest"
I huffed.

I heard my phone ringing and saw it was Ben.

I answered it and held my phone slightly away from my ear as club music blasted on my ear.

"Yeah I ain't going to make it"
Ben slurred.

"I can see that"
I retorted.

I grimaced as I heard him muttering to random girl, I think he forgot to end the call.

I ended it myself.

"You're right I was stood up, bye"
I sighed.

I got up to leave and headed to my apartment, I meant what I said about not wanting to rely on my Father even if it meant moving from a mansion to a small apartment.

I didn't particularly trust the Gotham government even though my Father was apart of it.

I didn't give it much thought though either.

One thing I knew for sure is I didn't trust the police force and that one reason was Ben, he wasn't exactly the helping people out and fighting for good kind of guy like police are supposed to be, at least not on the inside.

I no longer had any love for the guy that was for sure, I just didn't quite know how to break it off.

I knew the club he went too was the Iceberg Lounge.