Engagement Dinner

At dinner, you sat next to Antonio. Mirabel stared at Dolores while you pretended nothing happened.

Abuela talked with Mrs Guzman. Antonio and you whispered while eating. You occasionally glanced at Dolores but tried to keep it hidden.

As soon as Mariano put the avocado in front of Mirabel, Dolores whispered to Camilo.

Camilo transformed between himself, Mirabel and Meneer Kos before ending up himself with a messed up face. You couldn't help but chuckle.

Your chuckling ended when Camilo started whispering to Félix. Félix decided to whisper to Pepa. Not a good idea. Pepa got a cloud.

"Pepa... The cloud," Abuela muttered.

Pepa stroked her braid and muttered to herself before whispering to Julieta.

"So, we're all excited for the engagement between Isabela and Mariano so let's just get on with the proposal!" Mirabel said.

"Actually, I was just gonna-" Mariano started.

"Great! You were just gonna!" Mirabel said, moving Isabela's chair to face Mariano.

"Actually, because this family is so gifted, Mariano was planning to first play something. Luisa, can you fetch the piano?" Mrs Guzman said.

Luisa looked close to tears as she agreed and stood up.

"Actually it's traditional to sing after proposing," Mirabel said, pushing Mariano onto one knee.

Mariano sighed. He started with a speech. You looked at Antonio and stuck out your tongue while pointing your finger inside your mouth. Antonio chuckled.

Chaos erupted. Pepa's cloud got big. The animals went crazy. Isabela grew something that hit Mariano in the face. 

Dolores stood up and covered her ears before yelling: "Mirabel found the last prophecy Bruno had before he left. The house is cracking, the miracle is vanishing. It's all because of Mirabel!"

Luisa walked in with great effort while pulling the piano before she burst out crying. For some reason, none of this seemed to bother you. Your scarf felt extra safe. The prophecy ended up on the table in front of Abuela. Mirabel stared at Abuela.

~~

"It's not your fault," you said to Mirabel after Abuela yelled at her for ruining the engagement dinner.

"Thanks, y/n but that prophecy has ME in it," Mirabel said. She saw a rat with a piece of the prophecy. "Follow that rat!"

The two of you followed the rats. After a while, you thought you lost them. You sulked.

"Y/n, they're going behind that portrait," Mirabel said.

The two of you moved the portrait to see a secret passageway.

"Well, I should probably get to Pa," you said nervously.

Mirabel looked at you. "Okay. I'll go to see what the rats want with your papá's prophecy while you go to safety."

You climbed through the hole into the passageway. "Let's go."

"No, wait- I was being serious. This could be dangerous!" Mirabel said, hurrying after you.

You stopped and helped Mirabel. "Danger is my middle name!" You smiled proudly.

"No, your middle name is Bruno," Mirabel replied.

You waved her off. "Whatever. Point is, I'm helping."

The two of you paused and saw a hooded figure holding a piece of the vision with a rat on his shoulder. He immediately bolted down the passageway.

"After that guy!" Mirabel said, running after him.

You grabbed the back of her skirt in order to keep up with her. At some point, the strange man jumped over a hole in the ground. Mirabel tried to jump over but didn't make it. As soon as she started slipping, she started screaming for help. The strange man immediately grabbed her outstretched hand to catch her.

The hood fell off his head and you could recognise him.

"You're really sweaty," Meneer Kos said.

As soon as he said that, he fell. Mirabel grabbed a root and caught Meneer Kos's hand.

"Y/n, step away from the hole," Mirabel said to you. "Maybe get help."

You couldn't move. A rat climbed out of Meneer Kos's rauna. Mirabel shrieked and dropped him.

"Meneer Kos!" you said, looking down the hole.

A head popped out of the fog. Meneer Kos waved the fog away to reveal that the hole wasn't that deep.

"Huh, I thought it was deeper," Meneer Kos said.

Now that you could see the bottom of the hole, you hopped down. Meneer Kos, in a state of panic, caught you.

"What were you thinking?!" Meneer Kos said, placing you down at the bottom of the hole. He sighed. "Okay. Come on, let's get out of this hole."

He helped you and Mirabel out of the hole before he started trying to get out himself. You and Mirabel grabbed his arms to pull him out. Once he was out, he looked at you and Mirabel.

"Bye," Meneer Kos said before walking past the two of you and further into the walls.

"Hey- Wait!" Mirabel said, pulling you after her. "Tío Bruno? What? What are you doing here?"

Meneer Kos ignored her and started tapping on every piece of wood inside the walls. "Knock on wood," he kept mumbling.

"What does the prophecy mean? Is it why you came back?" Mirabel said.

"You weren't supposed to see that prophecy. Noone was," Meneer Kos replied, trying to out-walk you and Mirabel.

"Meneer Kos. Are you living in the walls?" you said.

Meneer Kos stopped. You and Mirabel looked at the wall. There were cracks which someone had attempted to patch up.

"Bruno," Meneer Kos said.

"What?" you asked.

"I let you call me Meneer Kos for too long." Meneer Kos looked over at you. "Okay, y/n, you seriously don't know who I am other than Meneer Kos?"

You shook your head. "No. You never told me your real name, señor."

Mirabel looked between the two of you. "Uh... Y/n... That's my tío Bruno... Also known as... Your papá..."

You stared at Meneer Kos. He just blushed and looked down.

"I'm sorry. I- I-" Bruno started.

You hugged Bruno. "Papá. Ek is lief vir jou." [Translation: "I love you."] 

Bruno ruffled your hair. "Okay, y/n/n. I love you too. But why aren't you mad? I mean, I abandoned you and your father-"

"Papá. You have sung me lullabies since I was five. I don't call that abandonment," you reasoned.

"But I abandoned Juan?" Bruno said.

You paused. "Well, he's not mad so I don't think I should be either. He's more sad. Hy wil jou terug hê. Por favor, vuelve a unirte a la familia." [Translation: "He wants you back" in Afrikaans and "Please, come back to the family," in Spanish - I think] 

"Okay, family reunion aside. Bruno, have you been back here, patching up the cracks?" Mirabel interrupted.

You stepped back so you could be closer to your cousin as Bruno replied.

"Oh, no, no. I'm too scared to go near those things. All the patching is done by Hernando," Bruno said.

"Who is Hernan-" Mirabel started.

Bruno pulled the hood over his head. "I am Hernando and I'm scared of nothing!" He pulled the hood down. "It's really just me. I used to say my real gift was acting."

You and Mirabel glanced at each other before looking back at Bruno.

Bruno had a bucket on his head. "I'm Jorje. I make the spackle."

You giggled and clapped. "Perfecto, Papá! Amazing acting."

Mirabel sighed. "Oooookay."