Antonio Gets His Gift

Juan stood to the back of the crowd with you next to him. Abuela had told you two to stand to the side because noone wanted to see Bruno's side of the family.

The curtains opened and Antonio stood frozen. He put his hand on the scarf before looking to the side. He reached out. After a few seconds, Mirabel walked over.

Antonio clung to Mirabel as Mirabel walked with Antonio to the door. You smiled.

"He's going to get the best gift ever," you whispered to your dad.

Juan smiled and ruffled your hair. "Better than yours, my kind?"

You chuckled. "A lot better."

Antonio nodded to answer Abuela's questions before he touched the doorknob. Everyone watched as a toucan landed on Antonio's arm and he seemed to have a conversation with it.

The door got an image of Antonio surrounded by animals as a bunch of animals ran to stand by Antonio. Abuela smiled.

"We have a new gift!" Abuela said before everyone went into Antonio's room.

You took a step back. After a second, you took a step forward to follow the crowd into Antonio's room but Juan stopped you.

"My kind. Ons moet wag," Juan said. [translation: "My child. We have to wait."]

After most of the people entered the room, Juan nodded and the two of you entered the room. It was a giant jungle. You grumbled.

"Wat is fout, skattebol?" Juan asked. [Translation: "What's wrong, darling?"]

"His room is so much cooler than mine," you whined.

Juan chuckled and pulled you along. You got to Mirabel. You smiled at your older cousin who just ruffled your h/c hair.

"Photo," Abuela said.

All the Madrigals except you, Juan and Mirabel got in together for a photo. Even your tíos. Of course. Giftless Mirabel and Bruno's family were not welcome in the perfect photo.

"La familia Madrigal!" the family announced as the photo was taken.

Time seemed to slow down around you. Tears appeared in your eyes as you looked at how happy they were to forget about you. Your wool bracelet worked its magic and the sadness dulled so you could just wipe your tears and hide the sadness inside.

"Don't be upset or mad at all," Mirabel sang to herself.

"Don't feel regret or sad at all," Juan said, rubbing your shoulder as you fidgeted with the wool bracelet.

"Hey, we're still a part of the family Madrigal," you whispered, walking over and taking Mirabel's hand.

"And I'm fine. I'm totally fine," Mirabel said, smiling weakly at you. "We will stand on the side as they shine." Tears appeared in her eyes. "I'm not fine."

"We're not fine," Juan agreed.

"I can't move the mountains. I can't make flowers bloom. I can't take another night up in my room, waiting on a miracle!" Mirabel said. "I can't heal what's broken. Can't control the morning rain or a hurricane."

"Can't keep down the unspoken invisible pain. Always waiting on a miracle, a miracle," Juan whispered, tears in his eyes. He was waiting for a very different miracle than Mirabel was.

"Always walking alone," you whispered.

"Always wanting for more," Mirabel said.

"Like you're still at that door," Juan said.

"Longing to shine. Like all of them shine," Mirabel said. "All I need is a change."

"All I need is a chance," you whispered. Noone appreciated your wool gift except your family.