Chapter II

UCLA – Anderson School of Management, Savannah Elaine Wright's POV

"Basically, Supply Chain Management is the brainchild of Keith Oliver, a consultant at Booze Allen Hamilton. It is the systematic management of upstream and downstream; or the flow of materials, final goods, and related information among suppliers, company, resellers, and final consumers." I said while looking interchangeably at my audience and at the diagram I spent my very few spare time making.

"Based on your diagram Ms. Wright, this strategy looks very ambitious. So how can this thing helps the individual companies?" Dr. Susan Walter, my thesis advisor, asked.

"The main objectives of this approach are to create net value, build competitive infrastructures, leverage worldwide logistics, synchronize the supply with the demand, and to measure performance globally. Through these objectives, it will help improve the long-term performance of the individual companies and the supply chain as a whole." I answered.

She nodded while smiling and let the other members of the panel ask questions about my dissertation. After almost two years of hard work and sleepless nights, I'm almost finishing with my masters degree. Hopefully, this will give me better job opportunities and a brighter future for my father and me. The jury continue grilling me with questions. I did my best to answer them in a confident and contained manner, but I'm already buckling and freaking-out inside. I can't afford to fail my dissertation. Like most people say, this is already my last card.

"Any further questions to Ms. Wright before we proceed to the next candidate?" Dr. Walter asked the jury.

When nobody answered, she looks at me with a smile. "Well done, Ms. Wright. We'll keep you posted with the results, as well as our comments and suggestions with your dissertation."

"I'll look forward to that, Ma'am. Thank you for your time." I said to the jury before leaving the room.

What a relief it has been to finish it. I can finally relax and leave it all to heaven, knowing I did my best. I'm already walking at the corridor when I decided to call my father.

"Hey Ted, it's me! How's everything?" I asked while walking out of the building.

"Still as boring as they normally are. How about you? Isn't today your big day? How's your di-dissection?" he asked.

"It's dissertation. Everything's fine. I think." I frowned "Anyway, I didn't want to think about that anymore. I did my best and I guess I'll just leave it to faith or something." I said while walking to the bus stop.

 "I'm happy for you, child. Now that you're about to finish your masters degree, I hope you'll stop working at Villain's. I know Max is taking care of you and everything. But I'll be more comfortable knowing you're at home every night." He told me in a worried voice.

"I will Ted, don't worry. Hopefully, I'll find a better job after I finish my masters. And then I'll save money for a house. After that, I'll ask you to move here." I dreamily said.

Ted just chuckle with what I said. I can almost imagine him shaking his head while laughing.

"Don't think too much about me, child. Vegas vibe energizes me, and cleaning The Strip has been my bread and butter all my life. I can't think of doing anything else and living anywhere else but here."

"Alright, if that's what you really like. But maybe I can send money for better accommodations or plane ticket so you can visit me here." I offered.

"Plane tickets would be great since I'm looking forward on seeing you. But don't bother with the money. I'm still strong to fend on my own. What I want you to do is to splurge money on yourself. I'm pretty sure you're still wearing the same clothes that you have when you decided to move there from here. Go buy some expensive clothes, shoes, and bags for yourself. You earned it anyway." Ted advised.

"I'll probably will. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. I still have to pass my dissertation, graduate, find a better job, and pay bunches of student loans before I can do all of that. Anyway, I need to get to Villain's before nine. I'll call you again later or tomorrow."

"I'll wait for that. Take care, child."

"I will. You too, Ted. Bye!"