May (Part 1)

Daphne POV

"Thanks for meeting with me," I say, taking a seat across from my principal in her office.

The beginning of month seven finds me getting ready to close out the school year, and preparing for Charlotte and Hayden's wedding.

"You're getting big, Daphne," the principal says with a smile across her face.

Thankfully today I'm not wanting to pinch anyone's head off for their very obvious, and probably well meaning, comments. Otherwise this conversation could take a very hairy turn.

I rub along the top of my stomach, feeling both grateful and uncomfortable, that I get to experience this time with my little Juniper. I give a soft laugh as Juni gives a hard kick against my hand, probably for disturbing her sleep. "I'm feeling it too. Makes me nervous that I still have a couple of months; she's running out of room to grow."

"The last couple months can be the hardest. Lucky for you though, you'll be home and able to rest and do whatever you feel up to," she reminds me kindly.

Something I've already been dreading is the heat of this Florida summer while pregnant. I do believe I'll be inside the air conditioning as much as possible until this sweet baby joins us.

"Definitely a blessing in disguise."

Mrs. Daniels leans up resting her forearms on the edge of her desk. "What did you want to talk about, Daphne?"

I take a deep breath, exhaling slowly along with an audible sigh. Chris had left this decision up to me, now it was time for the follow through. "Well, as you know about my health problems, this may very well be the only child I ever carry." She nods sympathetically. "With that in mind, I want to relish in as much of her childhood as I possibly can." I clear my throat and swallow. "I'd like to take a year's leave of absence, Mrs. Daniels."

This time it's the principal who exhales loudly, a small smile beginning to break forth. "I was afraid that's what you wanted to discuss." She leans back into her high back desk chair, uncrossing and recrossing her legs. "I understand completely. If I had it to do over again I probably would've done the same thing."

I relax a bit, even though my stomach tenses up thanks to Juniper's attempt at gymnastics. I push against my right side, trying to move her just a bit more. When that doesn't work I shift my body, leaning on the opposite side of where she rests.

"But," the principal continues, "I can't really guarantee that I'll have an opening for you to come back in a year. You know you can take the absence but you may be placed at a different school, different grade, next year. Is that something you've given thought about?"

"Yes, ma'am," I nod. "It certainly is, and to be honest I love my K babies, but I'd be okay moving up a bit as well."

"Who knows, maybe the group you have this year will need a second grade teacher when you're ready to come back." She gives me a wink before standing, letting me know this meeting is now over.

I stand up, fixing my maternity top to lay correctly over my bump. "You know I wouldn't say no to that. They've been a great group."

"They've had a great teacher," she tells me as she opens her office door. "I'm truly happy for you, Mrs. Evans."

"Thank you, Mrs. Daniels." She gives me a small hug before I leave her office.

"How'd it go?" Chris asks me that night at dinner. Dodger laying directly under the table, waiting for any accidental food drops.

I'd stayed a little late, now realizing what my decision really entails, to begin packing up my items from the classroom closet. Chris' shift ended at three so I came home to a beautifully cooked meal ready and waiting for me on the table.

"It went fine," I say as I begin cutting up the barbeque grilled chicken. "She can't guarantee me a position in Kindergarten or even at the school, but the county will put me somewhere." I shrug my shoulders, letting the thought really sink in that I may have to transfer schools altogether.

"Maybe you won't have to go back after a year. If you don't want to, I mean," he offers.

"What do you mean?" I ask, my brow furrowed. "They'll only let me take leave for a year. Honestly with having to take a leave last year I'm shocked they're letting me do it again."

Chris passes me the potato salad, holding the bowl as I scoop two large helpings onto my plate. Juni girl loves her potatoes.

"I mean, you can be a stay at home mom." My eyes widen, not out of actual surprise, but more because I still can't believe this is a conversation topic that is normal for us now. "If you want, Daph. I'm fine either way, totally up to you," he assures me. "You could even just put in to sub around town. I know your mom would be willing to watch the baby."

Mom has already been telling me all about her willingness to take on as much or as little of a role as needed. Her dream has always been to be surrounded by grandbabies. "Well, dad is looking to retire soon. Maybe they'll want to travel the world."

Chris gives me a 'seriously' look, knowing full well that my brothers and I, and the grandbabies are the Jeffries whole world. "It could change," I laugh out, spearing into my bowl of spinach. "How was your day?"

"Looks like I'm gonna finally get my wish," he says, taking a bite of his chicken.

"You're going back?" I ask expectantly.

He smiles widely with a big nod. "Yep. Going back to being a medic, sometime next week according to the chief."

I squeal in delight causing Dodger to howl at my outburst. My heart suddenly becoming lighter by his words. I jump out of my seat to hug him tightly. He chuckles into my chest as he moves me to sit on his lap. "My prayers have been getting heard," I whisper, my heart swelling with joy.

Chris' hand rests on the swell of my belly, Juniper giving him a little nudge as she feels the warmth from his large hand. "Pretty sure they've been getting heard for a while, love." He leans in and kiss me as the little nudge now becomes a swift kick.

I grimace into the kiss. He pulls back, looking at the pain on my face. "She's hungry," I whine out because I'd much rather stay right where I am.

Chris, hearing my whine, lifts his fork and scoops up a bite off of my plate. I give him the sweetest smile as he brings the fork to my lips. I giggle through my chewing.

"Gotta take care of my girls," he says before pecking my lips once more.

"Just no choo-choo or airplane sounds please."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*I know it's short, but...it's been almost a month without an update.*