November Vacation Part 5

Daphne POV

   Chris has already left by the time I come back out of the bathroom from soaking in the tub. I'm  not bothered by the fact that he wants to go swimming, or that he hopes to spend more time with the little girl. However, his childish behavior due to me changing my mind, is aggravating to say the least. 

   With what I've dealt with over the last couple of months, I feel like I should be allowed to listen to my body even if that means I change my mind or our plans change at the drop of a hat. It's not out of selfishness. It's really just me trying to listen more closely to my body.

   I pad around our hotel room trying to decide on a snack, now that I'm feeling a bit more awake. And let's face it, I eat my feelings. I know it's not healthy, but sadly I seem to do it a bit more often the last few weeks.

   After rummaging through the tote of snacks I packed I decide to grab the caramel popcorn I purchased from the Germany area in Epcot. I'm a sucker for caramel, and popcorn.  Put them together and I'm sold.  Then I remember the chocolate covered pineapple I purchased for Chris and decide to nibble on it as well. Can't help it. Piss me off and your favorite food becomes fair game. Deal with it.

   So with popcorn in one hand and pineapple in the other I snuggle into the bed and flip the tv on. I need something mindless to occupy my thoughts or else I'll continue replaying Chris' behavior towards me. I land on Nick at Night, thrilled to see old episodes of Fresh Prince of Bel Air playing for the next hour. A glance at the clock shows it's pushing closer to 9 pm. 

   Only one episode in and my eyelids are so heavy that I can't do anything except allow them to close.

   Sometime later I roll over, moving my legs to interlock them with my husbands, only to be met by the feel of cold sheets. Startled I sit up quickly, noticing the clock says it's 9:50 pm.  My body is trying to tell me it should be much later than that. I pick up my cell to see if Chris has messaged, but there's nothing. 

   Suddenly I have an overwhelming hot feeling come over me and my jaw starts to tingle. My stomach begins to lurch as I run for the bathroom, barely making it to the toilet before my stomach completely rebels against me, showing me the contents. In between retching I grab a cold washcloth to lay across the back of my neck. After three rounds of my head in the toilet, my stomach finally calms down. I lean against the wall, attempting to catch my breath and wait for the shakiness through my body to subside. "Guess popcorn and pineapple wasn't the best combination," I say aloud to absolutely no one. 

   Ten minutes pass before I take a chance and try to stand. I'm not nauseous, no queasiness present as I brush my teeth, rinsing away the remnants from my mouth. I'm definitely wide awake, knowing I won't be able to go back to sleep just yet. Instead I decide to slip on my sweats and a hoodie and walk down to the dining hall to grab a Sprite. Maybe I'll even manage to pick up my husband while I'm at it.

   I take the route that goes directly by one of the pools, hoping to see Chris.  After my episode I don't think I'll really relax enough to go back to sleep until he's in bed with me again, kind of like my own security blanket. 

   The closer I get to the pool I realize it's much quieter than I expected. Then realization hits me that it's just after 10 pm and the pool is closed now. I look around seeing a couple of people still sitting in the lounge areas, but none of them are my Tall, Dark and Handsome hunk of a husband. Could he have gone back to the room a different way? He may worry if he gets there and I'm not there. Oh well, I think to myself. I need a Sprite either way.

   Once in the dining hall I take a look at the food stations that are still open. I know I shouldn't considering I just emptied my guts, but man, those cheese fries are calling my name. 

   "Come on, Prince," I hear a familiar voice calling out loudly just across the way before I see a little bouncing redhead pulling on Chris' hand headed straight for the ice cream station.  

   I take a few steps towards them, a wide smile on my face seeing the sweet interaction, until I hear the man behind the counter. "Your daughter is adorable," he says. I stop in my tracks as I notice my husband not correcting the man. 

   And like that, a switch flips in me, as I watch Chris smiling down at the little girl and again back at the man. I move further away, rather than continuing my trek to join them. I can feel myself beginning to get emotional, the dam of my emotions threatening to come forward. I look back towards them, the four of them standing together, smiling and laughing as they await their ice cream, looking exactly like a happy family. Little Alice beaming up at Chris like a little girl would look at her hero, her father. 

   I turn around and walk away before I'm recognized but mostly before a sob erupts from my chest. 

   Upon entering our room again, I let my emotions take over completely, knowing that holding them in will only make things worse. Laying down on top of the covers in a ball, still completely clothed in sweats, I let my mind wander in ways that are more unhealthy than I can even imagine. 

   Chris deserves children. He deserves little ones that he can dote on and take care of, just like he did last night at the bus terminal with Alice. He deserves kids that he can take swimming and get ice cream with, just like he has tonight with Alice. 

   I sob into the pillow until I drift off, still alone in our hotel room. 

~~~~~

   Morning comes and wakes me as I forgot to close the curtains, sunlight streaming through. I notice the space next to me is empty. Even unslept in as I see my nightgown still laying in the same spot where I had tossed it before going downstairs. 

Sitting up, I rub my eyes thinking they must be playing tricks on me.

Looking over at the suitcase I see Chris' hat is gone. Upon standing I see that all of his clothing has been removed. Walking further towards the bathroom I see his toiletry bag is gone too. Confused by what's going on, I spin around trying to figure out what's happening. 

My eyes catch something I didn't notice before. Moving closer to the mirror in the room I see a note written across it using my lipstick that is now laying opened on the table below the mirror. 

   "You can't give me what I desire most, Daphne."

  My breath hitches as a wail escapes me before I fall to the floor.