Outfit Doesn't Make the Wolf

Outfit Doesn’t Make the Wolf

For three days straight Tess was trying to teach me how to be a teenager. She taught me about sarcasm and how to talk to adults, she kept telling me to copy her. That was something I could do, she always thought I was doing great when I copied her.

Often she made me sit and watch tons of movies. She pointed at them and shouted “Bad! That’s what stupid people do!” Or other times she would giggle at something they said. She kept telling me about what I had to wear and how I had to do everything. It as majorly confusing!

When we came home that day after shopping she got straight to it, as if determined that by the end of the night I would suddenly become a teenager. She gave up around nine.

Beta came in and said we were going out, Alpha was going to have a talk with some other wolves. Beta and Tess headed outside to shift. Alpha patted my shoulder. “You’ll have to wait a while before you shift alright?” I nodded but followed them outside. Alpha quickly shifted into his great wolf form and joined the others.

Beta sat just outside the group watching everything. He was a pitch black wolf, with white chris-crossed lines along his chest and face. His eyes were a deep midnight blue too. Like I said, they were the two most beautiful wolves I had ever seen.

I made my way over to Beta and sat in front of his paws. He growled softly and laid his head beside me. “You’re pretty.” I said running my fingers along one of the lines. Beta grinned and licked my face. “Gross!” I laughed. He chuckled and turned his attention back to the meeting that was taking place a few feet ahead.

I had never come close when the wolves gathered, I never was really around them. I tried to keep my contact with the wolves and shifters to a minimal. Now I guess I was going to be accepted into the pack. It wasn’t that bad, at least I could always be around them and wouldn’t have to run around the forest alone again. I liked that I could sit the Beta now too. “Beta?” I whispered he glanced up at me. “I want to go for a run.” I whispered. He growled and stood up and stretched. Alpha looked over at us and nodded.

Beta dipped his head down so I could climb on his back and wrap my arms around his neck. Beta jumped away from the clearing and into the trees, his strong legs moving him quickly around the trees and through the brush. The river started coming into view its water rushing through the darkness. Every time I came here I never tried to cross it. I had once and it nearly drowned me, but Beta easily sailed across it and landed lightly on his feet on the other side. He whimpered and looked through the trees and the many trails that led through the forest. I pointed to one of them “That one!” I said, though I didn’t know which way it went.

He took off in that direction quickly I pointed, he smelled the air and his ears moved listening to the forest. I wished I could shift too, and hear the forest again. I lived in this forest, it was my forest.

Beta crossed a path of broken trees and stopped to examine it. “It’s from those wolves, they chased me this way.” I said. “There’s a cliff face that way.” I said pointing to the wide open path. Beta turned and slowly started following it, his nose on the ground. He trotted into the clearing and stared up at the looming rock. “I’m pretty good at jumping off that, in wolf form.” I said. I didn’t tell him that I landed on my face most of the time. He looked around in curiously, like he had never seen it before. It was visible from the town.