Nightmares Return

Nightmares Return

"Run! Run!" Daddy's voice screamed. I tumbled out of bed and raced towards his voice. "Get out of here all of you!" he snapped my seven brothers standing around looking at each other.

"Daddy?" I called. Mike picked me up and started running. "Where's mommy and daddy?" I asked scared.

"They're coming Pookie everything is alright." he replied with a sad smile. "You have to be really quiet now, we are going to run to uncle's house okay?" his eyes seemed to calm to me. I nodded and hung on to his neck and he shifted into a big wolf. I hadn't shifted yet, daddy said I wouldn't until I was older.

Mike moved swiftly through the woods, he was the fastest, the others were just behind us.

Ben suddenly yelped and tumbled, Harry his twin spun growling and started fighting with someone. "Mike?" I whimpered snuggling into his fur. He growled reassuringly but didn't stop. I watched as Louie fell too. He grey fur was suddenly red and he didn't try to get up. He laid on his side as the red continued to cover his side. "Louie?" I called out. He didn't move. "Mike, why won't he get up?" I sobbed. Mike didn't respon to my question. His eyes were locked in front of him.

I followed his gaze to see three men holding mommy. Mike slowed to a stop and growled at them, it wasn't one of the playful ones he did when we played, it sounded mean.

"Come on beast!" the man hissed. A loud sound came from the man and mommy's side turned red like Louie's, she fell down, crying out. I jumped off of mike and he lunged for the three men.

I ran to mommy. "Sweetie... You have to... Get to your... Uncle... Get out... Of here." she huffed her hand pressed against her side, red liquid seeping through her fingers.

"But mommy I don't want to go!" I stated crying. "Mommy are you hurt?" she managed a jerky nod. "I'll get daddy, he will help you." I said standing.

"No!" she cried. Her hand red. Her eyes seemed to hide something. "Daddy can't help me... Not... This time." she smiled weakly. "Honey you need to try and shift and get out of here. Get across... the river and... find help. Okay?" she asked I nodded, tears covering my face. "Okay..." she closed her eye and her grip slipped from my arm. Jake, John, Mike, and Sam were fighting around me some were human others were wolf.

I started shaking and collapsed on Mommy's still form. "Well hello!" someone hissed in my ear.

"Get off!" I screamed swinging around. He had grabbed the back of my pj's and was holding he above the ground.

He continued to laugh. "She's too young to shift!" someone shouted, pulling a long knife out of Sam's chest.

"Sam!!" I screamed, he was completely still. Mike howled and jumped on the man with the knife. There was a pitched scream that was suddenly gurggled quiet.

A body fell away from Mike and a ball from his mouth. It rolled to the man who was holding me, and bounced against his foot. Wide eyes and a gaping mouth stared up at me.

A scream louder than the rest ripped through the night. It tore at my throat, but I was scared and a persons head was not! Supposed to come off.

"Shut up!" the man shouted at me, and kicked the head away. Mike jumped on him, his teeth and claws going crazy until the man stopped moving under him.

I screamed again and backed away from the fight, blood had already stained my pj's and the ground had taken a red tint.

Mike turned a sad face to me before turning on another man that was hitting Jake with a silver whip.

"Mommy! Daddy! Louie! Sam! Ben! Harry!" I sobbed their names out one at a time. They weren't coming anymore. I stumbled to my feet and started running.

I ran as fast as I could and never wanted to stop. Painful shouts echoed through the trees around me, I put two hands over my ears and tried to block it out.

Something inside me wanted out, I could feel it. My wolf? No one ever explained shifting to me, and now I was about to shift for the first time. I could feel every emotion run through run through my wolf, she was scared, but she wanted to protect me.

I dropped on my hands and knees, but before I hit the ground paws replaced my hands and feet, a tail grew above my butt, and a snout on my face. I suddenly was pushed forward faster than I had ever run on my own.

"Pookie!" Mikes voice followed me. I skidded to a stop and faced him, he ran lopsidedly towards me. His front paw was held close to his chest.

Another loud sound broke the night, a very loud crack. Mike looked at me with wide eyes before he dropped to the ground.

"NOOO!!!" I howled. I ran to his side, slightly funny. I wasn't used to 4 legs. "Mike!" I snapped, my voice coming out like a bark.

"Run Pookie!" he whimpered. "I'll hold them off. I promise!" he whispered and licked my face. Shakily he stood up and faced three more men.

"Aim for the runt!" one man shouted, he pointed a long silver blade at me. A man beside him lifted a long gun and held it close. Mike howled angrily but fell to his side.

Another crack broke the air.

Pain exploded on my back, and wood splintered in my face. "You missed?!?" someone screamed. Another painful cry filled the air. Mike was on his side, unmoving, and the man with the gun laid on the ground staring blankly at me. Behind them daddy stood, clutching one of them in his jaws and the other held under his powerful paws.

Cracking emanated from their bodies and they stopped moving. "Daddy!" I screamed happily, but couldn't move. He limped towards me, dropping the lifeless bodies. He stopped only once to check Mike.

"Sweetie, your such a pretty wolf." he said with his mind. Blood dripped from his jaws as he collapsed on the ground at my feet. I whimpered and nudged him with my nose. "Don't worry honey, uncle Bert will take care of you. All the bad men are gone now." he whispered, closing his eyes.

"Daddy?" I asked quietly. He opened one eye and managed a weak wolf smile.

"Don't worry. You'll be okay." he whispered. He let out a long sigh, then stopped all together.

"Daddy?" I nudged him again. No response. "Daddy!" I cried a little louder. Nothing. "DADDY!" I howled, but still nothing.

"Over here, there's still one left!" someone shouted. I looked up the hill to see two more men step over. I backed away into the shadows, ignoring the pain in my back, and ran.

I ran until the sun rose.

And until it set the next day.

>>> end of flashback<<<