20 | Terrible People

Comenzar desde el principio

"Are you crying?"

"I'm sorry, that was so mean of me!"

"Rebo, it's okay!" He chuckled, softly. Though her hormones threw him for a loop, he never got mad. He was always there to talk her down. "Are you okay?" He asked, under his breath, just so Posie could hear.

She leaned her head against his shoulder and shrugged. "I'm tired of these hormones and I'm just overthinking some stuff," she replied, honestly, her eyes not leaving the bonfire. "Well, I don't know... I just feel... weird."

He was almost immediately to his feet. "Weird? Is it the baby-"

"Sit down," she cut him off and dragged him back down.
The man was going to cause a scene. "I'm fine, the baby is fine.... I don't know, I can't explain it. Maybe it's my hormones making me paranoid."

"Paranoid?" He repeated. "About what?"

She sighed and let her head fall to rest on his arm. "Being a mom. Giving birth. All of it."

"I understand the birth part," he mumbled, his hand gently taking hers. "Why are you paranoid about being a mom?"

"I'm just," she paused and took a deep breath. "I just hope I'm a good mom."

He sat straighter, causing her to lift her head to look at him. He nearly looked offended by her confession. "Are you being serious?"

Her gaze fell, suddenly self conscious. "Well... yes?" She said in more of a question.

He hooked a gentle finger under her chin and tilted it upwards so he could lock eyes with her. "You're going to be an amazing mother. I've never once doubted that about you, and neither should you."

More tears gathered in her eyes.

He sucked in a sharp breath. "Did I say something wrong again?"

"No," she laughed and kissed his cheek. "Rebo iea." She whispered.

"Rebo iea," he whispered back, planted a kiss on the top of her head, and rested his chin there.

*the following day, somewhere close by, unknown POV:*

"There is nothing wrong with your food, silly. Eat up, you won't want to train on an empty stomach." He heard the heavily pregnant human woman say to the alien boy, and pushed the bowl closer to him.

"But I want it like yours." The boy complained.

The larger alien- the one he assumed impregnated her- chuckled and shook his head in amusement. "You're a growing boy, you need your meat fresh, not cooked."

All that did was make the boy pout.

The human affectionately rolled her eyes and squatted down next to the boy to be more level with him. "Tell you what. You finish your food, and I'll let you do whatever you want to my hair after your training." These kids were obsessed with her brown hair. It fascinated them, not just due to the color, but it was far softer too.

"So that's means I can-"

"Besides cut it."

He huffed but agreed to the deal, and grumpily chowed down on the food.

The large alien chuckled and ruffled the boy's black hair. "Be glad she's letting you even play with it."

There are plenty of terrible people in the world who have children.

The human man tried to remind himself of that as he watched through his binoculars, the advance technology in his suit allowing him to zoom in closer to the scene like a scope, his heart pounding.