fifteen

A few days had passed, and since the sisters had left their family home for good, things were a lot more calmer. They no longer felt the ever-present pressure that had once tortured them, and they no longer needed to face their parents' criticisms on how they should perfect themselves for the press.

As promised, Seolhee had figured out and sorted the issue of Hyunji's fees and finances. The older girl had never been interested in medicine herself, but had committed to the business side of it, earning a plentiful salary.

The two girls were sat upon a blanket, leaning against a tree, the wind whistling through their hair, spring greeting them both with joy. 

"I had never imagined standing up to our parents," Seolhee mumbled, her eyes far away. "But I think it was something that needed to be done,"

"I'm sorry for bringing up your ex-husband," Hyunji watched her sister's reaction carefully. It had already been three years, but she was unsure if the older Park girl remained sensitive still to the situation she had once been trapped in. "I was just so angry- "

"It's okay. Besides, what you said was the truth," Seolhee scoffed sadly. "I gave up the love of my life for that sadistic bastard, and our parents knew he was hurting me. But they told me to deal with it. I mean, who does that?"

Hyunji stared at her older sister, the golden girl whose radiance had slowly dimmed over the last few years. Ever since the divorce, she had remained slightly detatched from everyone else, including her younger sister. She had been more conservative, private, not that the medical student minded. She understood her sister needed space, but she had been mildly disappointed that her sister wouldn't tell her everything like she had done before.

"The love of your life," The younger took a sip of the coffee she had brought with her. "Who was he? You never really explained any details back then,"

"Remember when I used to drag you to those street races, when we were younger?" Seolhee beamed, elated at the old memories. "You used to be so afraid of getting caught, and I would just pull you along because I wanted to do something thrilling,"

"So it was a street racer," Hyunji chuckled. "Apparently you and I have the same taste,"

"Goodness, he was everything to me," Seolhee shook her head, her voice in a dream-like state. "Polite, kind, so sweet, a real gentleman. After the main events, he'd always race with me inside, and I would be screaming as he laughed,"

"Does he have a name, or am I gonna have to refer to him as 'The Racer'?"

Seolhee paused before a soft smile spread across her lips, a hint of pink creeping up her cheeks. "Bang Chan, his name was Bang Chan,"

The familiar, kind-hearted smile of the blond boy Hyunji had met on numerous occassions made its way through her mind. 

...

"Wait, so your sister and Chan dated?" Jisung's voice from the other side of the phone sounded surprised. "Wow, what a small world,"

"I know right? Do you think my sister is the reason why Chan stopped racing?"

"I don't know, but I think we should re-introduce them together again,"

At the hesitance from Hyunji's side, Jisung softened. 

"I know you're protective of your sister love, but I think both would benefit from seeing each other again. And who knows? Maybe they'll even date again,"

"Yeah, maybe we should do that,"