thirteen

Hyunji could feel the bile rising in her throat as she watched, with a sickened gaze at the race that was about to begin.

Miso had to practically drag the medical student up to the stands, away from her boyfriend who was treating this particular race as a mission so that he didn't end up dead. 

Kim Junseo was leaning against his car, surrounded by his gang as well as Ahn Heejin, who had sparked the Park girl's anger, something she usually reserved for her parents.

"Hyunji, he'll be okay," Her best friend attempted to reassure her, although, she too was anxious about the battle that was sure to excite the crowd tonight.

Kim Junseo and Han Jisung had not raced against each other in nearly two years, and had avoided one another for perfectly good reasons.

They were bringing back an atmosphere that had been sorely missed.

"Good evening, folks," Felix's deep voice once again greeted the murmering, bubbling crowd, but Hyunji could note the concern, the slight fear in his voice. "Well, we've been waiting for this race for quite the number of years, haven't we? Enigma and J.One are battling it out for the first time in two years! Y'all excited?"

The Australian boy earned cheers and shouts from the crowd as they gleefully awaited the thrill of the speed of the racers.

A few minutes passed and the two competitors had stepped into their vehicles, cars buzzing at the start line. 

Heejin stood between them, her platinum hair appearing as a halo as she stood under the night sky. She raised her hand upwards before the horn blew as she brought them sharply down, the race cars rumbling to life as they sped past her.

The race had begun.

Hyunji finally understood what Hyunjin had meant by the other boy almost killing Jisung. Junseo raced to kill. He had no concern for his tires which were almost rubbing against the rival Nissan Skyline. 

The medical student held her breath as the two cars ran three laps of the track, both equally at a terrifying speed which Jisung had vowed he would never do with Hyunji in the car.

And that was when the chaos began.

A loud, blaring siren eruppted to life, alerting the spectators that the police were here, and they were ready to cuff whoever they could find.

The stands shook as hundreds quickly ran, yelling, shouting as some grabbed their own flashy vehicles and dashed off, leaving only a trail of dust.

"Hyunji run!" Miso cried as she grabbed the taller girl's hand as the two sprinted.

But in between the fuss, between the disorder, their entwined hands had slipped apart, and Hyunji found herself desperately looking for her best friend. If something happened to Miso...

"Hyunji!"

The sound of Jisung's frenzied voice brought her back to reality, his blue hair, his eyes telling her to get into his car, so that they could escape.

Yet as she made a move to run towards him, someone caught her hands and the feeling of cold metal shifted through her spine.

"You're not going anywhere, young lady," The officer had a smug grin, as though he had accomplished world peace as he locked the handcuffs upon the Park girl.

Jisung could only watch in horror as the girl he loved, the girl who made him feel the most pleasant, most wonderful of things was arrested in front of his eyes.

But the thing that perhaps broke him the most was the fact that she had softly shook her head at him, telling him, no, demanding him  to escape whilst he could.

"I'll be okay," She had mouthed to him, jerking her chin for him to get in the car.

And he did.

Unconsciously, he pulled open the door, slid inside and pressed the accelerator, speeding off into the distance, the calm, untroubled expression of his girlfriend flitting through his mind.

He'd promised to keep her safe.

And he had failed.