Just the Two of Us

Start from the beginning

We drive to the frat house. It's a short drive. Candles, flowers, and cards still carpet the porch. I thought Link would be touched to see so much support from his fans but his eyes are rather gloomy when they take in the sight. I want to ask about his frown but a loud thump from the back of the house catches our attention.

"Anju! Stop throwing out my shit, you're going to break something," Kafei pleads.

Link and I walk around the house. Kafei is standing in the middle of the yard, catching and picking up the items that Anju is getting rid of.

"Zelda! Link!" Kafei runs toward us with open arms. "It's so good to see you!"

"Careful!" I gasp just before he throws his arms around us. I don't want him to hurt Link. I don't know how fragile his spine is or how much pain Link is in.

"Wow Link, you look great! How are you able to walk?" Kafei asks, backing away to take a look at his friend and brother.

"Physical therapy," Link answers concisely.

"People say you lost your mind. Can I see the scar?"

"Most of his memories have been recovered," I subtly correct him in a quick mumble.

Kafei removes the cap but only when Link pushes up his hair can the scar be seen.

"Damn, that's nasty!"

"Are you seriously chit-chatting with them right now?" Anju shouts at Kafei. She's leaning out the window with a notebook in her grip.

"Link is family! He just got out of the hospital after a long coma, and you've been ignoring me all day, so yes! I'm chit-chatting right now! Also, please don't toss that, it has sentimental value!"

"Oh so you care about this stupid, old notebook but not about our wedding?" She snaps.

"I do care about our wedding! I didn't pawn the rings, they got stolen! Just come down here so we can talk!"

Anju drops the notebook and returns back inside.

"You lost the rings?" I ask Kafei in shock.

"No! They got stolen!" He repeats frustrated, picking up the book.

"How did that happen?"

"I had them in my car and someone broke in and took them along with some other stuff."

"You left them in your car?" I want to facepalm but I decide against it.

"There's nothing you could say that could make me feel worse than I already do..."

"If it was an accident, why is Anju tossing your belongings?"

"I think she's breaking up with me? I don't know... she's been acting crazy all week. One moment she's all over me, the next she's trying to stab me with a fork. I can't keep up. Maybe she got cold feet or something. I thought I could get away with simply buying another pair of rings but I had to ask her for her ring size and she immediately started interrogating me. When I told her the rings were gone, she locked me out of my own room and cried for about an hour before she started rearranging all my things in the backyard."

"And she refuses to talk to you?"

"I've been trying all day. She just won't listen and I'm afraid the cops will show up if she keeps this up."

"I'll go talk to her, okay?"

"Really?" Hope flares in his eyes. "You're the best! Tell her I'll buy new rings. Even better ones. Oh and tell her I'll wear those cufflinks she wants me to wear for the wedding even though they're mad ugly."