I got up as he reached for something on his desk, making the wingback scrape against the floor as I did.

Valen's eyes flew to me and I was almost scared of the look on his face. I stepped into the light and he visibly relaxed. He picked up what looked like his phone and pocketed it.

"Miss Vanguard," he said.

"Sorry I interrupted," I said coldly, not sure why I felt so sick all of a sudden.

"I'm taking her to Apollo," he said carefully, like it was a message. I just couldn't decipher it.

The idiot giggled. "I've got a meeting with God!"

I rolled my eyes. "You keep drinking in those heels and you sure will," I muttered.

It sounded an awful lot like Valen actually laughed. But it was only short-lived and poorly hidden behind a cough.

"Wait here and I'll be back," Valen said to me.

I hesitated. Technically my job wasn't done yet. That was the only reason I was staying.

I nodded like it was a hardship. "Fine."

I dropped back into the chair. Valen's hand went to the Magdalen's arm and he paused before leading her out. I crossed my legs and jiggled the top one while I fiddled with the box in my hands and waited for Valen to return. He seemed to take an age.

Probably joined in, I thought.

"Why did you sit there?" he asked.

I jumped and found him leaning against the wall by the door, just watching me. Who knew how long he'd been there.

"What?" I asked.

He kicked his chin at me, pushed off the wall and headed over. His great long strides ate up the not insignificant room size and he was standing in front of me in moments. His crotch was level with my head and I entertained the notion of releasing him from his trousers and seeing how he tasted. Only for a moment.

"Why did you sit there?" he asked again.

"On this chair?" I clarified and he nodded. "The one specifically designed for sitting?"

The corner of his lips turned up in a smirk. "That's not what it's for."

I leapt out of the chair with a yelp, running into his chest and nearly dropping the box. His hands caught and steadied me easily and he didn't move. The backs of my legs were so hard up against the seat of the wingback that I had no choice but to lean on him or fall back into the chair that wasn't as clean as I'd thought it was.

"I assumed it was the safest thing in here," I said, glaring up at him.

"Safest as in...?"

"As in the least defiled by your shenanigans."

He huffed a rough laugh as he looked me over hungrily. "Ah, you want the bed, princess."

Me, in his bed? I thought about it.

I pushed against him and shoved the box into his chest. "Apollo wanted me to bring you this. Although, I'm not sure why he couldn't do it since he wasn't busy...yet," I said pointedly.

"My fault. I was late picking her up."

"Lovely. Well, I've done my job. I'll be going."

He took the box from me but threw it away. It landed safely on the middle of his bed.

"Do you really want to go?" he purred, taking a step to force me back.

My legs buckled against the chair and his arm went around me to keep me standing.