Chapter Five

After school on Monday, Florence and I did our usual choir practice, then she went off to the Art Studio and I went to find Apollo. It was habit for me. I did it every week. Had done for the previous four years. Three weeks into the school year, it wasn't an abnormality.

Still, as I opened his door, the noise should have warned me what I was walking in on. But my ears didn't seem very well connected to my brain because I didn't stop.

And there he was, balls deep in yet another Magdalen. She was completely naked, splayed stomach down against his window as he took her from behind. He himself was in nothing but and open shirt and - I hoped - a condom.

She moaned and whimpered like an actress in a cheesy porno. Telling him how big he felt and how good he was.

As I stepped into the room, he groaned as he finished.

"Nothing like your arrival to make a man nut himself, Valk," he laughed as he pulled out of her.

He turned and all humour on his face left him as he saw my face.

"Fuck. Harlow," he started but I shook my head and high tailed it out of there.

It wasn't the first time I'd walked in on him, and I knew it wouldn't be the last. It was like I was too stupid to learn. I liked to think it was more that he was too stupid to not fuck girls in his own room where he knew I might come find him. Maybe that was the point? Maybe he wanted me to see him.

Even knowing that what we were wasn't anything like we were supposed to be, it still hurt. And, stupidly, I let it. Every time. I let him hurt me when I should have known better.

As I hurried down the staircase, I wiped a tear from my cheek.

I could tell myself I didn't care all I liked, and it wouldn't make it true. I didn't care that he was sleeping around. Not really. I never thought of him as cheating on me. Our fathers had made the promise, we'd made no such to each other. It was the double standard, if anything. I had to keep up the appearance of doting girlfriend, while the entire school knew what - or who - he got up to behind my back.

I heard him call my name and found him jogging down the stairs, bare footed with his shirt still undone but thankfully wearing pants. Not that they left anything to the imagination.

I shook my head, turned and barged out the dorm front doors. Right into an immovable man mountain. I didn't need to see more than his chest to know it was him. Valen.

At the shock of me barrelling into him, his hands went to my arms to steady us both.

"Idiot," I muttered.

It wasn't enough that Apollo knew I'd walked in on him and run away with tears in my eyes. Now, Valen knew it too.

"Harlow," Apollo said again as he caught up to me.

"Sorry I interrupted," I told him, trying to push past Valen. But he kept me firmly in place.

"It's fine. She was leaving anyway," Apollo said as though I'd actually been apologising. He touched his hand to my arm gently. "Did you want something?"

Not anymore. I shook my head. "No."

Apollo nodded, looking a touch confused but clearly not caring. "Fine. Valk, take her back to her room," he said with a dismissive wave of his hand before he turned and started jogging back up the stairs.

Valen's hand on my arm tightened and he tugged me slightly in the opposite direction. I finally managed to rip my arm from his grasp and start stalking away.