48

𓃗

Since the day was so warm the celebrations were moved to be outside, many people were dancing while Ophelia and Enzo stood watching.

Enzo wasn't paying much attention to the couples ahead of them as his gaze was fixated on his wife who was looking rather pale.

"Why are you staring at me?" Ophelia had felt his burning gaze for awhile now but she had been ignoring it.

"Can't I admire my wife?" He asked nonchalantly with a shrug of his shoulders. Ophelia turned her head to meet his eyes.

"No." She deadpanned, her lips betraying her when they twitched up.

"Are you feeling well?" Enzo finally asked before Ophelia could turned away.

The new French Queen nodded her head silently, which was a mistake because the nausea she felt before only worsened.

"Maybe we should sit down." Enzo wrapped his arm around her frame before attempting to lead her to a chair.

"No, no I am fine, Zo. I swear." She promised, taking his hand and squeezing it reassuringly.

"My darling, you are beautiful....but right now it would be a lie to tell you that." Ophelia's head whipped up, a weak glare settling on her features.

"Now, is that anyway to treat your wife. I have raised you better." Catherine's teasing voice was heard from behind them causing them to turn and look at her. She was accompanied by Beth and Thomas, Charlie not far behind.

"Lia!" Charlie shouted out once he finally reached his sister wrapping his arms around her waist and leaning his head on her chest.

"Hello, brother." She smiled down at him as Enzo playfully ruffled his hair, causing him to swat away his hand and attempt to fix it.

The families conversed for awhile, often being interrupted by Lords and Ladies coming to greet them.

"Ophelia." Mary smiled at her friend in greeting. "May I speak to you for a moment?" She asked.

"Of course."

𓃗

"I will be leaving tomorrow morning." Mary revealed as the two walked around the gardens.

Ophelia nodded, saddened that she wouldn't have her best friends help to navigate her way through being a Queen.

"You know, I remember the day I first met you like it was yesterday." Both women smiled at Mary's words, "I had just gotten a letter from my mother, telling me about my engagement to Francis and how my wedding would be soon. I wouldn't have to stay in the convent any longer." Mary's smile turned bittersweet at the memory.

Ophelia stayed silent letting the Scottish Queen say whatever she needed to get off of her chest.

"Believe it or not I hated the convent. I missed my friends, but then I met you. And suddenly I didn't want to leave. It was because of you and Charlie that I found myself again, I wasn't living in a state of constant fear." Ophelia's eyes held unsure tears as did Mary's.

"Mary, why does this feel like a permanent goodbye. We will see one another again. I will visit Scotland whenever I can." A line tear slid down Mary's face.

She closed her eyes tightly before continuing, "Maybe it is goodbye. Ophelia I look at you and I see what I could- should have. You will always be my best friend but I seen you and Enzo together on the throne and I couldn't help but think Francis and I should be in your place." She spit out.

Ophelia finally let her tears spill, "Francis should still be here. I know, Mary, I know." The dark haired girl nodded in understanding.

"Lola will also be leaving to return home tomorrow."

"I'll let you enjoy your last day in France, Mary." Ophelia wiped her face free of any sadness and replaced her frown with a warm smile.

Well, so much for a nice day.

𓃗

Ophelia decided she didn't want to go back to the celebrations right away. She decided to go for a walk around the castle grounds and ended up to a familiar lake.

The only thing that could be heard were the sounds of birds and the distant sound of music.

"Why is the physician looking for you?"

Ophelia jumped before turning to face her husband. "Christ Enzo, you gave me a heart attack." She placed her hand over her heart and let out a breath.

Enzo didn't reply, he only raised his eyebrows silently asking her to answer his question.

"I don't know." Ophelia lied.

"See, I don't believe you. When I asked why he was looking for you, he told me that you had sworn him to secrecy." Enzo walked slowly towards her, studying her face.

"I-"

"Ophelia! I have been looking everywhere for you!" Astraea announced slightly out of breath from running all over the place. "Your majesty." She curtsied to Enzo.

"What is it?" Enzo asked annoyance seeping into his tone.

"Lady True is looking for you, I think she mentioned something about her daughter and Charlie." She replied, trying not to roll her eyes at the newly crowned King's tone.

Ophelia nodded her head and stepped forward only to stopped by her husband. "We aren't finished with this conversation." Enzo told her.

"I'll find you later." And with that Ophelia walked around him and followed Astraea to wherever Lady True was.

"That woman will be the death of me." The curly haired man scoffed and shook his head.

𓃗

Authors Note
Just a small filler chapter.

What do think Lady True wants to discuss with Ophelia?

Have a good day my loves.
<3

-K