1

𓃗

"Are you sure about this?" the voice of a curious little boy questioned looking up towards his big sister.

"Of course I am." Ophelia replied back to her brother. Their mother had promised to take them out to the stables by the convent, but of course she got caught up with her 'business'.

"I-It is just that mother said to wait till tomorrow then she would take us." It was clear that Charlie
was hesitant to go against what his mother tells him.

Ophelia turned around and faced her 6 year old brother. "Charlie, you know she will get caught up with 'business'" she said using air quotations "at this rate we will never get to see them again."

The two Gold children had a special place in their hearts for horses, Ophelia believed it was because her father loved them his whole life before he passed.

After their father passed away just after Charlie's second birthday, Beth, the children's mother, became distant. Ophelia took it upon herself to care for her and her brother even though she was only 8 years old at the time, she did a good job.

Walking up towards the stables the Golds quietly opened the stables doors so the nun's wouldn't hear.

"Hello, boy" the blue eyed girl whispered softly to her favourite horse. The midnight coloured horse huffed happily at the attention he was getting from the two children.

"Lia, can you lift me up?" Charlie asked his sister softly.

The 12 year old picked up her little brother and placed him on her hip. "Let him sniff your hand. Don't spook him." she told Charlie.

Giggling as the horse moved his nose into Charlie's hand, Ophelia couldn't help but think back to when her father first brought her to these stables.

𓃗

"Come here, little one" Thomas Gold picked up his daughter as if she weighed nothing.

"DADDY!" 6 year old Ophelia screeched happily as her father came back from working at the kings stables. He hadn't been home since yesterday morning and Ophelia was getting tired of hearing her little brother cry out for his father.

Placing Ophelia on his hip, their matching blue eyes locked. "I have something to show you." Thomas told his little girl.

"Really?" Ophelia whispered quietly, eyes wide with excitement.

"Shall we go tell your mother that we are going somewhere?" the black haired man questioned his daughter although it came out more like a command.

"Hello" Beth greeted her husband. Kissing his cheek and kissing her daughter's forehead. "Where are you two off to?"

Leaning down, Thomas whispered into Beth's ear where he was taking his daughter.

Smiling happily, Beth walked back toward the stairs "You will love it, Lia" the blonde told her daughter.

At the stables, Thomas led Ophelia towards his horse that he was gifted from the nuns at the convent who owned the stables.

"This is my horse, try not spook him" He pointed towards the black coloured horse.

Talking quietly so she didn't scare the horse the dark haired child asked "What's his name?"

Pausing in his movements Thomas stopped putting the saddle on the beautiful horse. "Well I never gave him a name, I never thought about it"

"His name is Moon" Ophelia told her father.

Laughing to himself, Thomas nodded "Did he tell you that, little one?"

"He did!" little Ophelia squealed.

Thomas just chuckled.

"Now, up you get" he said placing Ophelia in front of him on the horse.

𓃗

"Ophelia!"

Ophelia snapped out of her thoughts at the sound of her name. Looking towards her brother she raised an eyebrow. "What?"

His wide eyes snapped towards her and he pointed at the door.

"C-Can I help you?" a soft voice asked. Ophelia turned around and spotted a brunette girl who was around the same age as her.

"Uh...no?" Ophelia stated but it came out more of a question.

"You know nobody is allowed out here" she told the two Gold children although she was looking more at Ophelia rather than Charlie.

"We are allowed here. The nuns gave us permission" Ophelia told the girl, she was surprised that she hadn't stuttered considering how nervous she was.

"Do you own a horse here?" The brunette questioned lightly.

"W-We do" Charlie's little voiced from behind Ophelia's hair which he had his face buried in.

"What is your name?" Ophelia asked.

"Oh my apologies, I have forgotten to introduce myself. I am Mary" the girl they now know as Mary told them.

"You have a lovely name Mary" Ophelia complemented her. "I am Ophelia and this is my little brother Charlie ."

"Which one is your horse" Mary asked as she stepped closer to the pair.

Walking closer to their horse Ophelia patted his nose lightly. "It was our fathers horse, his name is Moon" She told Mary, giggling at the childish name she gave the horse when she was younger.

"He's a beautiful horse, and I am sorry about your father" it was clear that Mary had picked up on the use of was.

"Thank you." It wasn't clear which one Ophelia was thanking her for but Mary just nodded her head.

"Well...I think we will be great friends" Mary announced.

"So do I"

"Me too!"

𓃗