Chapter Fifty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Of course, Grandma —" I cut myself off, remembering she didn't like that nickname. "Um, Grandmother."

I tried on practically every dress in that shop, feeling guilty as the shopkeeper grew steadily more distressed and exasperated by Grandma'am's inability to decide. Finally I just pointed at a white, floor-length dress with a gold neckline and shoulder straps that I thought looked cute and said, "How about that one?"

Suddenly, miraculously, Grandma'am's indecision disappeared, and she bought the dress, along with some heels. She had me try on the full ensemble and walk around in it so I could make sure I didn't trip over anything.

"Why do I need these dress robes, anyway?" I wondered as we left once both my grandmother and I were satisfied with the dress.

"Oh, they still haven't told you?" Grandma'am asked. "Every time the Triwizard Tournament is held, there is also a Yule Ball on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I bet you're glad I had Luther teach you how to waltz, aren't you?"

A ball? That's what the dress was for? I frowned. Hogwarts didn't normally do schoolwide balls or parties. We had post-match parties for Quidditch victories, and we had feasts, and that was the same thing, only better, because all you had to do was show up and eat food. That was it. No dancing, no worrying about whether you should even bother trying to get a date, no fretting that the other girls would giggle maliciously at you if you decided to go without one.

And yes, that last part was what school parties and dances were like at Ilvermorny. We were very modern American. We dressed in normal school uniforms instead of robes, used pens and notebook paper instead of quills and scrolls. And, of course, we had prom and homecoming every year for those who were in fourth year and up, plus a Valentine's Day dance for the first three Years. Probably the only difference between us and any other private school in the nation was the fact that it was a school for magic.

"Don't look so disappointed," Grandma'am said, then, continuing as if she'd read my mind, "It won't be like those parties at Ilvermorny. At Hogwarts we do things the civilized way: A dignified dinner followed by pleasant dancing. And since two other schools will be there, your teachers and headmaster will expect you to be on your best behavior."

Of course.

"So, how about a quick break for some drinks at the Three Broomsticks, and we can get the rest of our shopping done?"

"The rest of it?"

"Of course, dear. I saw a necklace in another shop earlier that I think would go great with the dress and cloak, and perhaps we can find some matching earrings."

"But Grandma'am, I don't have pierced ears."

"Oh, I suppose we'll take care of that, then. And after that, we'll get anything else you'd like. I think there is a bookshop somewhere around here."

I was about to say no and head back up to the castle, but I'd never seen her looking so excited about something before. She must've really enjoyed shopping.

"Okay," I said. "I was hoping to look for some new books."

A few hours later, I headed back up to the castle with my new things. Grandma'am had no sense of restraint when it came to shopping, so I'd had to say no to several books and the pierced ears. Grandma'am did get the necklace she'd spotted for me, though I didn't plan on wearing it to the ball.

By the time I'd made it up to Gryffindor Tower with my dress and other things, it was dusk. Harry informed me after I'd finished putting away my dress that Hedwig had returned.

"It's from Luke," he said, grinning and elbowing me.

"You're a moron," I informed him, rolling my eyes and taking the envelope from him, elbowing him back. I retreated back to my dorm and opened the envelope to find two letters inside — one from Luke and one from Annabeth.