Chapter Fourteen

Ron and Harry were still mad at Hermione and I when the Christmas break was over. We'd started doing our homework in the dorm or the library instead of the Common Room. Harry had even told Wood that I'd helped McGonagall confiscate the broom and now Wood was acting all grumpy towards me.

We'd left Defense one day when Hermione dropped some of her books. I helped her collect them. She sat down at the feet of a suit of armor to repack them. Harry and Ron passed by, Ron saying, "Still looks ill, doesn't he? What d'you reckon's the matter with him?"

Hermione gave a loud and impatient "tuh."

"And what are you tutting at us for?" said Ron irritably.

"Nothing," said Hermione in a lofty voice, heaving her bag back over her shoulder.

"Yes, you were," said Ron. "I said I wonder what's wrong with Lupin, and you —"

"Well, isn't it obvious?" said Hermione, with a look of superiority.

"If you don't want to tell us, don't," snapped Ron.

"Fine," said Hermione haughtily, and she marched off.

"She doesn't know," said Ron, staring resentfully after Hermione. "She's just trying to get us to talk to her again."

"And why wouldn't she?" I demanded. "You're supposed to be her friends, aren't you? But you're still upset about that Firebolt."

"You can't talk," Harry said. "Your broom isn't destroyed or confiscated."

"Listen, Harry," I snapped. "I want Gryffindor to win the cup just as much as you do. But the way you're placing the value of a broom over Hermione is wrong. That Firebolt isn't a living person. It isn't as smart or amazing as Hermione, and if you can't see that, then you don't deserve to be her friend."

I left them staring and went to join Hermione.

"What kept you?" She asked.

"They were being ridiculous, so I told them off."

"Who?"

"Who else? Harry and Ron," I said. "But Hermione, what were you talking about? How it's obvious why Lupin is sick all the time?"

"Oh," Hermione said, and she looked around as if checking for eavesdroppers. "Lupin is a werewolf."

I gaped. "How did you know?"

She gaped back at me. "How did you know?"

"He ... told me."

"Why would he tell you?"

"Please, don't ask," I begged. "Why don't you tell me how you know?"

"Professor Snape's essay," she said at once. "I started to notice things. Like how he was only sick during a full moon."

"Hermione Granger, you might just be the smartest person I know," I said in awe.

Hermione flushed. "I do want to know, though. Why did he tell you?"

"It's supposed to be a secret," I muttered.

"I promise I won't tell anyone," She said, then frowned. "You know what, I'll tell you a secret of my own: look."

She reached for the neck of her robes and brought out a gold chain. On the chain there was a little hourglass. I knew what it was as soon as I saw it. "A Time-Turner? Where'd you get that?"

"Professor McGonagall let me have it so I can get to all of my classes," Hermione explained.

"That's how you've been doing it," I said, grinning. "Why didn't you say anything?"